Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to determine your SAT score?

letloose15letloose15 Posts: 119Registered User Junior Member
So I'm kinda new to this. I just got my SAT scores (this was my first time taking it).

I got a 550 on reading, a 530 on mathematics, and a 640 on writing. How do I determine my SAT score. Do I just add them up?

Also, is the SAT out of 1600 or 2400? I hear so many things but I'm so confused.

If I add my scores up, I get a 1720. Would you consider this a decent score? I honestly can't tell.

Thanks! :)
Post edited by letloose15 on

Replies to: How to determine your SAT score?

• I VI V Posts: 845Registered User Member
    Your SAT score is ((math score) + (reading score) + (writing score)). The sum of these three scores is your total score out of 2400.
    ((530)+(550)+(640)) = 1720. It is viewed as a 1720/2400.
  • tito777tito777 Posts: 342Registered User Member
    you add all three to get the 2400 score and just the math and reading for the 1600 score.

Your overall score is very average (especially out of 1600 when you disregard the writing section, so I'd say take it again and try to bring it up. Good luck =]
  • NewAccountNewAccount Posts: 1,882Registered User Senior Member
    To get your score out of 1600, add up your reading and mathematics scores. You would have a 1080/1600.

Yes, your score out of 2400 is a 1720. Your chances are slim to none at a competitive school with these scores.

If you have specific colleges in mind, go to this website ( Advanced college finder - find colleges and universities using QuickFinder. ) and put the name in. Then, look at their average SAT scores and see if you fall in their range.
  • ToastiToasti Posts: 257Registered User Junior Member
    Yup, it's 2400. A while ago, the SAT was just comprised of the CR and math sections, so it was out of a total of 1600. Then the writing section was added, so now it's out of 2400 points.