Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to answer certain types of CR questions...

parikhsparikhs Posts: 1,607Registered User Senior Member
For example:

Duncan perceives his family as:

A) callously objective
B) offensively complacent
C) unnecessarily demanding
D) puzzingly eccentric
E) hopelessly gullible

When you come across a question like this...how can you be sure that what you choose is correct? For that question I narrowed it down to A/B and went with A which was wrong. Which choices would you cross out off the bat because of its wording? Does the PrincetonReview strategy work for "words ETS will never have in a correct answer choice" if anyone knows what I mean. thanks
Post edited by parikhs on

Replies to: How to answer certain types of CR questions...

• VehementVehement Posts: 957Registered User Member
    offensively complacent? complacent means self-satisfactory..so at best thats only self damaging so it shouldn't be offensive..

c may work.....

d is a bit too strong...its like saying "beatifully pretty"

e..hmm hopelessly gullible? too harsh but may somehow work i guess.
  • parikhsparikhs Posts: 1,607Registered User Senior Member
    Answer was B :-\ these questions puzzle me because my vocab isn't too great.
    where is the question from? don't think i remember that one from anywhere...

anyways, always try to read the passage first before answering. guessing just by the answers can be very risky/ineffective...

as the result showed, using the PR guessing method is not very pragmatic...
    I did read the passage...and then tried to narrow some down by my knowledge of the passage and the wording...still no luck..getting discouraged
    if the only thing that is hindering your progress are the vocabs then u should grab the word smart and word smart 2 books and start memo all of the words in those..
    I have the Word Smart book..but memorizing all those words is overwhelming..I tend to forget them once I start to learn new words...any tips?
    use flash cards i guess and pull those out as often as you can....

you also might want to consider asking your family members to participate in vocab jeopardies every week...but that might be too late as you only have like 4 weeks left...hmm

just keep on practicing and adapt to the test is the best advice i can give. be prepared and know what they will throw at you...finish ther stuff u know quickly and tackle at the hard ones after you are done with the rest (rereading the passages, think back and try to remember those words, etc)