Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

urgent I hope vs hopefully

happysunnyshinehappysunnyshine Posts: 1,202Registered User Member
edited November 2010 in SAT Preparation
Do you say "I hope I will be accepted" or "hopefully, I will be accepted"?
Post edited by happysunnyshine on

Replies to: urgent I hope vs hopefully

• kobudnikkobudnik Posts: 835Registered User Member
    Either works man.
  • gensisgensis Posts: 651Registered User Member
    i think their both fine
  • SandwichGirlSandwichGirl Posts: 1,119- Member
    ^

win.

tenchar
  • crazybanditcrazybandit Posts: 1,735Registered User Senior Member
    Many linguists over the years have objected to "hopefully" when used in place of "I hope." Their argument is that "hopefully," as in "Hopefully, I will be accepted," acts as an adverb and therefore must modify a verb: "I will be accepted in a hopeful manner." This clearly does not mean "I hope I will be accepted." However, adverbs can describe general situations and tones portrayed in the entire clause, rather than a specific verb, as in these examples:
    "Frankly, this soup is not tasty." (This can't logically mean "This soup is not tasty in a frank, honest way." Rather, the placement of the adverb suggests something about the speaker, that he or she is being frank.)

"Sadly, the man died." (The way in which the man died is not necessarily sad: the situation involving his death is sad, or the speaker is making the statement in sadness.)
    So it might be more clear to use "I hope," but "hopefully" is acceptable, popular, and standard as a replacement.
    Here is an additional example:

"Hopefully, you will smile at me." ("I hope that you will smile at me.")
    Some people think this implies, "You will smile at me hopefully" or "You will smile at me in a promising manner," as if the speaker is commanding the person to smile promisingly at him or her. But "hopefully" is functioning as a sentence adverb, which comments on the entire sentence; a sentence adverb does not modify a verb. So the structure of "Hopefully, you will smile at me" is acceptable, unless there is a chance of confusion or disapproval by the audience, in which case you should play it safe and say "I hope [that] you will smile at me," although I don't know why you would try to be formal or want to be grammatically correct about a statement like that.
  • kobudnikkobudnik Posts: 835Registered User Member
    Let's all just agree that either works. People would honestly have to be *******s to interpret it like that.
    You make it sound so convenient, when it really isn't. Understanding the distinction (and accepting that the two work at the end) is important since it's relevant to the SAT.
  • QuantMechQuantMech Posts: 5,639Registered User Senior Member
    Hopefully, people will read and understand crazybandit's explanation. :)
    Please note: SAT still considers this usage of "hopefully" wrong. I consider it sub-standard. You don't want to write things that will make some of your readers cringe; you don't want to answer "No error," when the SAT writers believe there is one. You should be using "I hope" or something similar at the beginning of a sentence like the first one in this post.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Posts: 11,721Registered User Senior Member
    Agree with Quant. It is just as easy to use the correct phrasing as it is to slip into common errors. For casual talk, writing on a forum, etc, we all have times when we get sloppy. But, for anything formal...show you know your stuff.
    While we're at it, use plural verbs with plural nouns: "There are two reasons why I hope to be accepted. Not, "There is...."
    Please note: SAT still considers this usage of "hopefully" wrong.
    Just to clarify, the SAT will not mark a sentence like Hopefully, the man will be punished wrong: it considers this usage right, not wrong. The SAT accepts sentence adverbs as grammatical. If "hopefully" was an answer choice in that context in the identifying errors section, it would not be the answer (it would be viewed as grammatical). If, however, "hopefully" is clearly being used as a traditional adverb, as in The man will be punished hopefully, without a comma before "hopefully," keep in mind that the sentence's meaning changes (but isn't necessarily illogical). The comma (e.g., in Unfortunately, . . .) is essential to the sentence adverb.

In the wider scope of things, introductory adverbial/prepositional phrases (a la the sentence adverb) are very relevant on the SAT, and you should understand what modifies what.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Posts: 11,721Registered User Senior Member
    Crazy, re: using hopefully as a sentence adverb- other than the SAT folks, who are aggravating, can you point me toward some definitive authority that trumps all others? Just for me. All the standard refs I see are still in conflict. Those that accept it seem to base that on common use. Thx.
    Well, if you look up the term "sentence adverb," you'll get many sources that comment on it. If you Google "sentence adverb" site:.edu, you'll get sources from colleges and universities. Here is one source, from language-experts of University of Pennsylvania:
    Language Log: Love, adverbially
    (CTRL+F "sentence adverb.")
  • QuantMechQuantMech Posts: 5,639Registered User Senior Member
    I'm willing to accept that crazybandit is the authority on the official position of CB on usage, since it's been a long time since I looked at that material.

On the other hand, I am the same age and fussiness level (very high) as a lot of the essay graders. The use of "hopefully" when you mean "I hope" would grate on my nerves, and make me less forgiving of any subsequent errors, regardless of CB's official position. I think it would be better to avoid this usage, if you can.