Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Direct Hit's Volumes 1 SAME AS 2?

WarpclawWarpclaw Posts: 96Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2011 in SAT Preparation
Hey so I just ordered volume 1 of direct hits, and I was reading a review for the second one installment, and it said that it had the pretty much the same words from the first volume..

Is this true? Is volume 2 very similar to volume 1 in terms of the words? Or do they have completely different but accurate SAT words?
Post edited by Warpclaw on

Replies to: Direct Hit's Volumes 1 SAME AS 2?

• SAT100SAT100 Posts: 663Registered User Member
    Completely different. Volume one is basically core vocab, while volume 2 gets into comprehensive vocab.
  • WarpclawWarpclaw Posts: 96Registered User Junior Member
    Ok thanks, still looking for more opinions though :)
  • braniacbraniac Posts: 404Registered User Member
    The words are not the same at all
  • WarpclawWarpclaw Posts: 96Registered User Junior Member
    Ok thanks guys :D
  • Fat_NerdFat_Nerd Posts: 941- Member
    How many words do Direct Hits V I and II make up together?
  • nothingtonothingto Posts: 1,346Registered User Senior Member
    Around 500-600 words if you add the extras

^
  • Fat_NerdFat_Nerd Posts: 941- Member
    I meant how many entries not words, my bad. (?)
  • JokersLotusJokersLotus Posts: 60Registered User Junior Member
    You need both volumes to study effectively. While volume 1 is core vocabulary, something that is hugely recommended and the second volume is just more of a recommendation, with more advanced words, comprehension, and famous roots. There are 400 in total words so around 200 will be in the first volume and 200 in the second. Good luck!
  • LoseYourselfLoseYourself Posts: 1,191- Member
    What is the difference between an entry and a word?
  • TechhexiumTechhexium Posts: 624Registered User Member
    I assume what he meant by a entry is the word or words that are part of a number, so there are 400 entries in both volumes, 200 each. A word in the books is any word fully capitalized that may appear on the SAT, but may differ based on your perspective when you consider the words with multiple meanings like CHECK.
  • Desire800Desire800 Posts: 99Registered User Junior Member
    Where can I find the list of Direct Hits vocab online?
    Honestly, there isn'y any or its really hard to find.
    @Techhexium

Yes, that's exactly what I mean! The first 200 is what you've probably learned in school in Junior year. Then it gets harder. Most of these words are based on previous SAT and are made by examining recurring words. Studying just 150 of these words would probably better assure you on the SAT then studying 4000 Barron's words (mostly because Barron's just jumbled up words and also it includes GRE practice words too.)

*Note for the advanced words and roots, there are easy words such as Epic or Eschew because SAT uses these words in such a context that its hard to distinguish between different definitions.
  • indianguy94indianguy94 Posts: 439Registered User Member
    Does anyone have a PDF of volume 2?
  • nseriesnseries Posts: 66Registered User Junior Member
    even i need volume2 pdf.does anyone have it?