Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

SAT Score Analayzes and Goal

GoldenMonkeySATGoldenMonkeySAT Posts: 160Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2012 in SAT Preparation
Day 0:
Starting today, I am going to be posting what I do everyday to study for the next SAT. This will be like a blog, where everyday I will post what I studied and such. I will post questions which I do not understand and grammar rules which I need clarification on. I would love it if you could tell your tips and tricks!

My scores on my March 29 2012 SAT are:

Reading: 560
Math: 660
Writing: 550
Essay: 8

The sum is a 1770 :(

I want to get my score up to in the 2200's by this fall!

I want to know from the people who scored really high how they studied to get such an impressive score. I have the Blue Book, Barron SAT, Dr. Chung's SAT Math, and many more online books and tests. Any links, tips, etc. would be appreciated.

I'm willing to study a lot everyday. (It sounds very overused, but I have a dream and I am willing to do anything to reach it.)
Post edited by GoldenMonkeySAT on

Replies to: SAT Score Analayzes and Goal

• johnnyzxzjohnnyzxz Posts: 494Registered User Member
    I got a 760 on my PSAT this year (10 points lower than your actual SAT).

I got a 2040 on the March SAT (almost a 300 jump)

First of all, you need to be diligent and have a good attitude. I spent around 4 hours every day after school just taking practice tests off the Blue Book, reading vocab, going over Silverturtle's grammar guide (google it), etc.

It's just the work ethic, that's it. Work hard every day and take lots of practice tests. The first time I took an untimed practice test, I missed around 15 CR questions.. with unlimited time. On the SAT I just took, I missed somewhere around 7 or 8.... this progress came ONLY from doing CR sections in the Blue Book. That's it. Didn't read any books. Just read people's CR tips on this site (look around). I know this isn't a GREAT score, but it got me a 690 which is pretty good..

But most important is working hard every day.

Aiming for a 2150 next time :D
  • GoldenMonkeySATGoldenMonkeySAT Posts: 160Registered User Junior Member
    Day 1: Crtical Reading

Today I have read political articles from the Washington Post. I read politics because they are what I have the most trouble reading. I read started off with the goal of reading five articles a day. I even saw some new words as well. Hopfully reading five articles a day will be a good start.

The Washington Post Articles: Politics

1.) On health care, is the GOP ready for victory? - The Washington Post

New Vocabulary:

Palatable: Acceptable or satisfactory
    Mandate: Give (someone) authority to act in a certain way/An official order or commission to do something

2.) Obama: Americans getting hit twice over gas prices — at pump and with tax subsidies - The Washington Post

New Vocabulary:

Fiscal: Of or relating to financial matters
    Defecit: The amount by which something, esp. a sum of money, is too small
    Alluded: Mention without discussing at length

3.) Bipartisan plan to cut deficits gets meager support in House - 2chambers - The Washington Post

New Vocabulary:

Intractable: Hard to control or deal with/Stubborn
    Warily: On guard; watchful.
    Subsidies: A sum of money granted by the government or a public body to assist an industry or business so that the price of a commodity or service

4.) In new book, Arlen Specter gives the naked truth about senators - The Washington Post

New Vocabulary:

Revelation: The making known of a secret or the unknown
    Hoopla:Excitement surrounding an event or situation, esp. when considered to be unnecessary fuss.
    Solidarity: Unity or agreement of feeling or action, esp. among individuals with a common interest; mutual support within a group.
    Sartorial: Of or relating to tailoring, clothes, or style of dress
    Decorum: Behavior in keeping with good taste and propriety
    Gag: A joke or an amusing story or scene, esp. one forming part of a comedian's act or in a film or play.
    Tightwad: A mean or miserly person.
    Frivolity: not serious or sensible.

New York Times: Science
    5.) Coastal California Fog Carries Toxic Mercury, Study Finds - NYTimes.com (I was being nice to my self :P)

New Vocabulary:

Foliage: Plant leaves

After reading the articles, I started studying Dire Hits Vocabulary words. Instead of memorizing 100 words a day, which would innefeciant, I planned on studying 15 words a day (Some are sets of two words, but mean the same thing.)

Ambivalent: Mixed Feelings
    Anomaly and Atypical: A deviation from the norm
    Sarcastic and Sardonic: Decisive mocking comments
    Dearth and Paucity: A scarcirty or shortage
    Prattle: To babble incessantly
    Wry: Dry humor
    Unconventional and Unorthodox: not ordinary or typical
    Painstaking, Meticulous, Exacting: Higly detailed
    Audacious: Very bold, daring
    Indifferent and Apathetic: Lack of interest or concern
    Diffident: Lacking self-confidence
    Pragmatic: practical, sensible
    Presumptuous: Failing to observe the limits of what is permitted or appropriate
    Recalcitrant and Obdurate: Very Stubborn, Defiant

Then I finally finished off today with the Barrons SAT CR Tips and Tricks. I learned on how to approach the short passage and long passages. (Pages 107 to 114)

Summary: Overall today I felt very productive in studying for the CR SAT, but I still have a lot more to study. Well I got to go, I have some school homework to do! Thank You!

Tommorow: CR

(Should I do Critical Writing, or do you guys have any suggestions.)