Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

If you want a 2400 and have 4 months buy this

sjsharkssjsharks Posts: 222- Junior Member
edited June 2012 in SAT Preparation
Grubers Sat Book
Barrons Writing Workbook
Barrons Critical Reading Workbook
Barrons 2400
Barrons Sat Book
Princeton Review 11 Sat Practice Tests
Kaplan 12 Sat Practice Tests
Ultimate Sat grammar guide
Official SAT study guide
Official Sat Online course
Mgraw Hill Sat book
Post edited by sjsharks on

Replies to: If you want a 2400 and have 4 months buy this

• SwiftnessSwiftness Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    Na, Na, Na! Keep it short, stuffed and with a purpose. AVOID THE CONFUSION AND WASTING TIME. These ARE REALLY WHAT YOU NEED:
    *Barrons Writing Workbook
    *Barrons Critical Reading Workbook
    *Barrons 2400
    *Barrons Sat Book
    *Official SAT study guide
    *Official Sat Online course (from ebay, it's about $10, from CB, its $70)

If you, REALLY savor these and finish them perfectly, and as hard as you can, I can, REALLY, promise you a 2300+.

Now, GO AHEAD.
  • cheerioswithmilkcheerioswithmilk Posts: 948Registered User Member
    I liked Barron's writing workbook, but their critical reading and math workbooks are pretty useless with their math being almost harmful. Also, getting Barron's 2400 and Barron's SAT aren't necessary; blue book is fine.
  • chewydogchewydog Posts: 703Registered User Member
    Lol the blue book definitely is all you need. McGraw Hill has a nice guide for the Critical Reading section and I liked PR's flashcards for vocabulary, but both of these are auxiliary. Barron's SAT writing materials are terrible in that they do not correlate with the real test. I'm not saying that anything they offer is wrong, it's just that their questions/drills aren't like the questions on the real thing. The online SAT course is okay, but all it's really good for is a few extra tests. The essay grading technology sucks though from what I've heard (I used the course only for extra practice questions but didn't have my essays graded; still scored an 11 and 12 on my two official exams this year without it)
  • sjsharkssjsharks Posts: 222- Junior Member
    Well I plan on spending 4 hours a day over the summer for sat, so i need a lot of material.
    Hold up, you listed all of those materials without having actually taken the official test? If you seriously wanted useful stuff, you should have just searched on google and this forum. There is a plethora of people, recommendations for guides, and online guides written by awesome people like silverturtle, xiggi, and more. In my honest opinion, if you work through the tests released and provided by CB, read the stuff on this forum, and review all of the concepts you missed through books made by PR/Barron's (don't use Barron's for writing though)/another company with good customer feedback, you will have spent enough time preparing for the real deal. Another thing, 4 hours a day every day is excessive. You'll just drive yourself nuts and eventually slack off. Do maybe an hour a day with 30 minutes of vocab studying if necessary, and then take a test each weekend starting at 8 AM to get a feel for the real administration, build up endurance, and check on your own progression.
  • kimmylouiekimmylouie Posts: 1,441Registered User Senior Member
    My question is, how do you use all these books perfectly ?
  • ZombieDanteZombieDante Posts: 3,855Registered User Senior Member
    I love how the OP is giving advice about how to get a perfect score on a test that has a grammar section, and the OP themselves doesn't use proper grammar.

It should be "If you want a 2400 and have 4 months buy these"
    lol screw grammar for now. And i have taken the sat, and I have spent over a year going through prep books and I have found these to be the most helpful.
    btw zombiedante, you criticized my grammer while you clearly used thr wrong tense for your verb. Other people ARE not is.
  • yankeesfanaticyankeesfanatic Posts: 1,457Registered User Senior Member
    OP is Original Poster, not other people. Which means his grammar usage is correct...lol

And you haven't even taken the test yet, nor did you get a 2400. Most of these books are useless.
  • WHATDAMCFUDGEWHATDAMCFUDGE Posts: 290Registered User Junior Member
    Why study so much????????? Geezus, get a life people. I brought the Barron's AB/BC Calculus book so I could learn calculus and go straight to BC, but my teacher wouldn't allow me to do that, so I have a brand new calc book. I brought a physics b book--used it for tension (useless half age on it I think). Brand new. I brought both Barron's 36 ACT and SAT 2400 book, on top of the blue book. So what I'm trying to say is: don't buy so many useless books! I wasted my money and you will too.

If you want a good score, do silverturtle (didn't use much, as I'm pretty good at English already), Direct Hits vocabulary (I actually enjoyed learning all these new words, and still use them), the Barron's ACT/SAT book, and the blue book. I put in maybe 5 hrs a week for the last weeks of August I think and did some of the tests. The main point is that I did not waste my time on so many books and I had a life (read:balance).

Anyways, I just hate when people study so much. It really means nothing past how hard you're willing to work, not much about intelligence. When there are no longer tests to study for after college, you will be in a big problem since you never knew to have a balanced social life. Those inflated standardized scores forum countless hours (I know some on here study 100s of hours, yet don't even get 2200-2300+) mean nothing when compared to those people who get high scores without any studying/bare minimum. /end of rant

Sent from my Desire HD using CC
    well the did say while the original poster themselves, which is incorrect. And I probably overexaggarted how much im going to study.
  • SwiftnessSwiftness Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    @ZombieDante, You might have 1,234 posts, but you also have a slight grammatical error: In your post, you're talking about the OP ALONE, so WHY use themselves when referring to him/her?! Use himself/herself INSTEAD.

AND, ALL OF YOU, STOP BEING SUCH PSEUDS!!!
  • kimmylouiekimmylouie Posts: 1,441Registered User Senior Member
    Oh my god. I love this site even more

But my question was unanswered: HOW DO YOU USE THESE BOOKS TO THE MAX?
    I chuckled reading through the posts. Whatdamcfudge, I noticed a small fallacy in your argument. You state that studying really hard for long periods of time is worthless, but contrarily should everyone who needed the extra practice and committed themselves to working hard in class and on SATs be condemned then? Based upon your logic, all of those people who study for long hours should be looked down upon. Your implied ideal is to let only the "naturally smart" people achieve higher scores, regardless of other factors such as their work ethic and level of arrogance. If your ideal is the proper way, then I'll cheerfully rescind my 2400 and all of my test grades and accept a C average.