Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Duke Talent Search

Blue0ctaneBlue0ctane Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited January 2006 in SAT Preparation
OK - long story short, my parents received an application from my school to sign me up for the "Duke Talent Search", which is obviously a search for talent so they know who to scout out for the future. This is offered to 7th graders in my area. Anyway, me being smart (according to the tests), they decided to sign me up for this crap. What is the Duke Talent Search? You may be asking yourself that same question. Well, it's basically forcing seventh graders like me to take the SAT/ACT along with high schoolers taking it for real. This shouldn't be a problem. Last year at my "highly advanced" private school (which I no longer attend), we did SAT verbal study in Language Arts via the 5-part video series known as "Quack". Yes, it stuck, and yes, I am now armed with a crapload of SAT vocabulary as part of my arsenal. Essay writing I shouldn't have a problem with, either, as I've been given top marks on various essays in my school's gifted program. The big problem I'm going to have is the math part of the SATs. I've been looking through a preperation booklet, and it seems like there is geometry and advanced algebra and trigonometry and calculus and a bunch of other crap that I haven't learned yet (I'm only in pre-algebra). The preperation guide doesn't offer any way to learn, because it's designed for high-schoolers who are supposed to know this stuff. So, is there anyway that I could learn the math part of the SATs by the end of January?
Post edited by Blue0ctane on

Replies to: Duke Talent Search

• RabidchickensRabidchickens Posts: 408Registered User Member
    sounds like a crappy spin off of the JHU Talent Search
  • blackeyedsusanblackeyedsusan Posts: 2,387Registered User Senior Member
    It's not a spin-off. It's a similar program that is available to students in a different region of the country (south and southwest I think).

Don't worry about not knowing the math. No one expects you to know high school math in 7th grade. Just take the test and see how you do. My son was a regional finalist for verbal. This is not the time to be prepping for the SATs. Believe me, you'll have lots of time to do that as a junior in high school.
  • mkevb1mkevb1 Posts: 305Registered User Member
    calculus? haha theres no calculus.
  • northernnorthern Posts: 177Registered User Junior Member
    Don’t worry about the SAT math. If you have been in gifted classes you have had enough math to get a decent score in the math. Any thing over 520 is a good score for your age. There is no Trigonometry or Calculus. There is also very little advanced Algebra. The Geometry is at the middle school level. You should get the free booklet from the SAT folks called “SAT Preparation Booklet”. It has a review section for math that is only a few pages. The three pages of Geometry in the booklet are all that you need to know. If you come across anything that you can not do, just skip the question. You can skip half the questions and still get about 500. The difficulty of the SAT math is related to the tricky way in which the ETS tests very simple basic concepts. So you have to be very careful.
  • Ragnarok227Ragnarok227 Posts: 182Registered User Junior Member
    lol, I was in it too. My math was my strength, but my verbal was abysmal. 630 500 if your curious.

Don't worry about the math because your guarenteed to learn all the required math by junior year (it only goes up to geometry/trig and is quite simple, but requires quick thinking and comprehension.)
  • RabidchickensRabidchickens Posts: 408Registered User Member
    I just got something in the mail from Duke today too :P they have programs for High Schoolers too, im way too busy/financially burdened this summer to do it though