Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Errors in Kaplan and Princeton Review SAT practice tests book?

ccf183ccf183 Posts: 45Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in SAT Preparation
Hi everyone,

At my house, there are two SAT practice test books just lying around. They are:

Kaplan 2007 12 Practice Tests for the SAT
Princeton Review 2011 11 Practice Tests for the SAT and PSAT

I have heard that there are a lot of errors in these books.

In addition to the CB blue book, I'm going to be using these books above ^ as extra practice. Can anyone tell me the magnitude to which the errors are present? I just want some extra practice. Also does anyone have a link or anything like that that has found every error in these books and corrected it?

Thanks all!
Post edited by ccf183 on

Replies to: Errors in Kaplan and Princeton Review SAT practice tests book?

• JuanitaRebelJuanitaRebel Posts: 301Registered User Member
    I can attest to at least 3-4 errors in the Kaplan book in the writing section.
  • gomdorrigomdorri Posts: 721Registered User Member
    Yes I have found errors as well. Since I've only taken one test from Kaplan's, I can't speak for that, but there are errors, though not many (it's not like every other question has an error). Not quite sure where there are corrections though, sorry.
  • eswara20eswara20 Posts: 205Registered User Junior Member
    well on the 11 practice tests- theres a list of answers and then the answers and explanations. the answer list is mostly wrong. but the answers along with the explanations are right. At first i was shocked to get like 10 wrong per section but then i realized. I can't believe that PR spends money into an uglier looking cover for 2012 but hasn't corrected the answers.
  • lpt1995lpt1995 Posts: 80Registered User Junior Member
    Kaplan: realistic CR sections, VERY BAD Writing sections (believing the book's answers and explanations may harm your writing score, really)
    PR: bad CR, the rest is acceptable
    You can use those books for more practice, though. Just don't bother the scores they indicate
  • ccf183ccf183 Posts: 45Registered User Junior Member
    If your scores go up in *only* the Kaplan book or *only* the PR book, you do know that you are improving?

For example, if you scroe 1980 on Kaplan Test 1 but 2280 on Test 12, obviously you did improve some.
  • VictoriaB1VictoriaB1 Posts: 43Registered User Junior Member
    I completely agree! I mean I never tried Kaplan but PR Reading Sections are just bogus. There is a reason their explanations are so ambiguous, because most of the answers don't make any sense! I will sit and say "How the heck is that the answer?!". And then I get 720-760 CR in the BB.
    I think doing PR Reading will not only hurt your score but drive you crazy! I was ready to cry when one test I got 760 and then the next day got 630.
    I would order the Collegeboard book if I were you. They are the people who make the test thus it will be a more accurate indicator of your score on the real test.
    From what I have heard people's score on the actual SATs vary +/-50 from what they get on practice tests in the BB.
    Good luck!
  • tomatox1tomatox1 Posts: 823Registered User Member
    What test did you take eswara? O_o