Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best SAT book to buy?

YangfizzYangfizz Posts: 151Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2012 in SAT Preparation
i am taking the test this Jan. i've already have a official book and barron's, looking forward to buying a third book, any suggestion?
Post edited by Yangfizz on

Replies to: Best SAT book to buy?

• ReckieReckie Posts: 346Registered User Member
    Pwn the SAT for math
    Grubers for math
    Rocket Review for CR
    Direct hits 1 and 2
  • amy2525amy2525 Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
    ^ what is pwn ?
  • ReckieReckie Posts: 346Registered User Member
    The name of the book... it's math, not writing! lol
  • jsk4everjsk4ever Posts: 203Registered User Junior Member
    I think it would be helpful to buy a book that is solely dedicated to the subject you have the toughest time with on the SATs. I got Barron's and the blue book as well, but my third book was Dr. Chung's because I struggled somewhat more with the math section than the other ones.
  • dzzalldaydzzallday Posts: 162Registered User Junior Member
    Dr. Chungs Math is very helpful! I also like some of the strategies in SAT 2400 in Just 7 Steps.
  • actc111actc111 Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    I bought my daughter the criticial reading specific (workbook) from Baron's and it really helped her. It has vocal word lists in the back as well.
  • suddenlysillysuddenlysilly Posts: 18Registered User New Member
    College Board's official SAT guide, Kaplan's and Princeton's are very good books.

SAT Exam – Top 3 SAT Preparation Guides
  • Jennifer93Jennifer93 Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    How does barrons and rr math compare to Dr chungs?
  • oasisoasisoasisoasis Posts: 89Registered User Junior Member
    Don't get Grubers. After the first 200 pages, its useless. There are too many frustrating mistakes and once you get into the harder questions there simply isn't adequate explanation. Also, the way it teaches some concepts... its not worth learning the HARD way to do problems.
  • sutter112sutter112 Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    I bought Mc-Graw's 2013 SAT and the BB. I'm only taking using the BB for practice tests, since I ran out.

I think Mc-Graw's is pretty well-rounded. And some of their math "tricks" does help on the real test (the PSAT at least).
  • PascalFrenchPascalFrench Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    ppl, may i kindly ask you to help me download a SAT book from overdrive.com? Tried so many times, no success. Obviously, that site has its own method of downloading. It also has it's own program. I just couldn't use it.
    Here's the link for the book: SAT 2400 in Just 7 Steps - Shaan Patel - eBook - OverDrive® Search
    Pls, sb HELP!!!
  • intparentintparent Posts: 10,191Registered User Senior Member
    My kid used Gruber and got a 780. It is the most highly recommended book out here on CC, and sure worked for her.

We saw Rocket Review mentioned for CR, but at least when we looked for it about 18 months ago it seemed to be out of print. She didn't really need much work on CR anyway, as she is a lifelong avid reader (best prep there is). But we did try to find it and couldn't.
  • MishkatMishkat Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    Princeton Review maybe

Sent from my GT-I9003 using CC
  • lookin4the1lookin4the1 Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    I did fine with just the college board official sat book (the blue book). the most helpful thing is taking practice tests, of which the blue book has 10. don't buy into books that offer strategies and insider knowledge it's all bee ess
  • MITman200MITman200 Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    Barrons Sat is just the best