Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

When should I take the SATs?

jjn1159jjn1159 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in SAT Preparation
I'm a junior this year and I was wondering when will it be the best time to take the SATs? I will be taking it next year a second time on the October date if I do poorly on the one I take this year. Is it too late to take it on June 1? How long does it usually take to receive your scores back? I wanted to do May, but, I have too many AP Tests during that month.
Post edited by jjn1159 on

Replies to: When should I take the SATs?

• rspencerspence Posts: 2,118Registered User Senior Member
    Most students usually take the SAT during the spring and again during the fall of senior year. Usually takes a few weeks to receive scores (Idr exactly).

I actually took the SAT on June after junior year ended. So June 1 isn't too late. May works if you can juggle SAT with AP, but you might be better off with June (or even April).
    Edit: (Sorry it accidentally posted twice)
  • Rain713Rain713 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    If you are not planning to take SAT subject test, or you are already done with them, I would recommend June. I am planning to take the subject tests in June (in the AP courses I do well in), so I am planning on taking the SAT in Jan (before my midterms). So if you want to take subject tests I would probably take it in Jan or April. The scores are normally up online by the end of the month you take it in.
  • jjn1159jjn1159 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    I am planning on taking Math II and Physics. Should I take Physics this year since I'm taking AP Physics B and Math II next year? Also, I don't think there are any dates for April.
    My school doesn't end until June 15...
    It might be better to take both subject tests in the same sitting (cheaper), but it's up to you. AP Physics B is sufficient preparation for SAT Physics, so you might want to consider taking Math II and Physics next year when you have finished AP Physics B.

As for me, I took Math II and Physics in October of my senior year (five months after the AP Physics C exams)...went fairly well except I barely knew E/M (I only took C - Mechanics).
    Would it be better to take both subject tests this year? I'm currently in AP Physics B and Precalculus. I'm not sure how much the Math II covers but, I purchased a Math II prep book from Barrons last night. I'll probably be taking the SAT a second time next year if I do poorly and it will most likely be the October date. Will my schedule force be to take both subject tests this year?
    Of course, you're not "forced" to take the subject tests right after you take the course (although it's recommended). If you're taking AP Physics B and Pre-calculus this year, you should be well prepared for the subject tests in June.