Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

3 weeks left 300 point increase

AliasesAliases Posts: 12Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in SAT Preparation
Is it possible for me to get a 300 point increase if I study 12 hours a day?

I plan on doing this everyday:
- 2 tests a day + review
- study vocab
- read strategy online and barron/other books

I'm going to put on my red headband shave my head and start studying my ass off. Has anyone done this? I don't ever want to retake this test, and not only that I only have 1 more chance after this and I won't count on it.

I'm going from 1500 to 1800. How hard is it to get 1800+ ?

What do you guys think.

I'm going to isolate everything out of my life.

My scores: 450R 600M 450W
Post edited by Aliases on

Replies to: 3 weeks left 300 point increase

• tPzd3RXxtPzd3RXx Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    Yes, it's definitely possible. My tip is: for every question you miss, literally every one, look and see why you got it wrong. But don't stop there, try to make a general rule in your head about that kind of problem and ask yourself, "how can I make sure this same type of mistake never gets made again?" That is, every question you miss should be a type of question that you won't be missing on the real SAT.

You definitely have the right work ethic and mindset ("this is my last shot"). If you can learn from your past mistakes, with your attitude I'm pretty sure you could hit higher than 1800.

Good luck!

Edit: I just read the 12 hours a day part. Please don't do that to yourself. One practice test a day (2-3 hours) is more than enough (and you'll see your own progress every day). The important thing isn't bashing out the problems, but conceptually learning the different types of problems and learning from them.

For the critical reading part, I'd suggest reading this:
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-preparation/750399-how-attack-sat-critical-reading-section-effectively.html

For the writing portion, if you can learn about 20 or so grammar rules, your score can easily be 700+. A bit more practice and and 800 is not unattainable. The essay may be harder, but there are a lot of good guides online to beat it (know that the essay is, despite popular belief, graded objectively).

For the math section, it's your highest score so far. Again, learn from your mistakes, and learn how to spot careless errors.
  • clienkclienk Posts: 243Registered User Junior Member
    Don't do 12 hours a day, you'll burn out before you make progress.

Keep it to 1 practice test, like the other person said.
  • AliasesAliases Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    Thank you guys I really appreciate your comments.
  • injectmagicinjectmagic Posts: 201Registered User Junior Member
    To be honest, short term improvement by that much is very rare. It takes months to increase one's score by 300 points.
  • YangfizzYangfizz Posts: 151Registered User Junior Member
    3 weeks left 300 point increase is definitely possible especially for a low score like 1500. however, taking 2 tests a day is not wise at all. i did that before(i was taking one test everyday), and then i realized that it was just wrong,besides the fact then i literally just gave up in the middle of test because i was struggling with one section and kept dwelling on it. taking enormous amounts of practice tests doesn't increase your score if you don't know what's being tested on the SAT, that's why you can get a lot out of merely one test if you carefully review all the materials that are covered in the test. it's recommended for you learn all the grammar rules and math problems that are covered in the sat.(if you master all these concepts(most SAT questions are base on these rules), there is no really no need to work your butt off on the reading part; 300+ improvement on these 2 sections are way more doable than improvement the reading section.)
    writing 620--->800
    math 700--->800
  • tPzd3RXxtPzd3RXx Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    injectmagic, I increased my score from 2180 to 2400 with a week of studying (I just went through the Official SAT Study Guide). It's not so much how much time you put in as it is the quality and effectiveness of the time you put in. I am not "smarter" and literally anyone can do what I did.