Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

how to increase my score to 2300+

amy2525amy2525 Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in SAT Preparation
hi guys,

My current scores(average) are:

CR 590-620
M 740-800
W 600-730 e. 8-9
Total: 2000-2150

I am going to take the test next January
how can I increase my score to 2300+?

Thanks
Post edited by amy2525 on

Replies to: how to increase my score to 2300+

• PreplyPreply Posts: 258Registered User Junior Member
    In no particular order:

-Take practice tests
    -Study
    -Improve your essay score.
    -It's pretty obvious that your weakest area is CR, so I would focus on whatever your weaknesses are. (eg., vocab, reading comprehension, timing, etc.)
  • pmian57pmian57 Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
    To add to what preply has already stated, one of the easiest parts to improve on is your essay. If you can raise your essay 2 points you will greatly improve your writing score.

Always be sure to answer the question posed, do not use the prompt as an excuse to write about something you want to. This is not a Presidential Debate, you must answer the question.

Clearly state your thesis, agreeing or disagreeing with the prompt at the end of the intro paragraph and stick to it.

Provide one counter argument. If you are arguing for the importance of telling the truth to your friends at all times, provide an example of why others might disagree, then, and this is important, disprove the counter argument.

Sum up your points and restate your proved thesis
  • YangfizzYangfizz Posts: 151Registered User Junior Member
    taking the SAT on January 26th as well, aiming for the same goal and cr is my weakest lol.
  • exstudentexstudent Posts: 172Registered User Junior Member
    (1) Get these recommended study aids for test practice: the Kaplan SAT prep books, and the "official" SAT prep book (get both).
    (2) Do at least 15 practice tests, 20 is better, simulating real test conditions, especially time constraints.
    (3) Go through each test after, understanding errors and figuring strategy for improvement.
    (4) Write essays in constrained time, get someone to critique using the SAT guidelines.

And of course, get enough sleep the night before, get enough nutrition that morning. (You'd be amazed what a difference this makes.)

Good luck!
  • amy2525amy2525 Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks guys for help!