Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

November SAT Math problem

LoncriaLoncria Posts: 338Registered User Member
edited November 2012 in SAT Preparation
Hi, so I was wondering what you guys put for the problem where it asks for what was the max amount of people who scored 4 points when you have 11 people who scored either 1,2,3 or 4 and whose total number of points must equal 28.

I have looked at all the threads on cc + plum and it seemed like the consensus was that the max was 5. However, I was wondering what the collegeboard meant by people scoring either 1,2,3 or 4 goals? Does that mean that at least one person must score 3 once? If so that would make the answer 4, and nearly everyone I know who have achieved perfect scores or close in math would be wrong...

Does anyone have any insight into the wording of this problem?
Post edited by Loncria on

Replies to: November SAT Math problem

• feedback411feedback411 Posts: 308Registered User Junior Member
    I think the problem can be interpreted either way tbh.. I put 5, like the majority of people here, but one poster insisted it had to be 4 because each possible score (1, 2, 3, and 4) had to be scored at least once; that person even said he/she saw it on a previous Q&A SAT test so I honestly don't know. That's the only question I'm having doubts about in Math so I'm just prayinggg the answer's 5.
  • hopingforbetterhopingforbetter Posts: 804Registered User Member
    It is a 5. I'm from India and I didn't have that question in my test, but I'm pretty sure that it is 5.
  • rspencerspence Posts: 2,118Registered User Senior Member
    "Everyone scored 1,2,3, or 4 goals" doesn't necessarily imply that at least one person scored 1 goal. Same with 2, 3, or 4.

For example, consider the statement, "Every person in the room is male or female." Then the following statements are true:

"Person 1 is male or female."
    "Person 2 is male or female."
    "Person n is male or female."

Of course, everyone being the same gender wouldn't violate the original statement.
  • HelloNellyHelloNelly Posts: 79Registered User Junior Member