Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

1860 SATS. can I get into top schools?

musicsoulchildmusicsoulchild Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2007 in SAT Preparation
I'm very disappointed with my scores
is it still plausible for me to get accepted
to the ivys?
Post edited by musicsoulchild on

Replies to: 1860 SATS. can I get into top schools?

• jsmith7651jsmith7651 Posts: 449Registered User Member
    Sorry to break it down for you: You're not gonna make it to any of the ivies. Unless, you have like AMAZING and I mean AMAZING extracurriculars and a 4.0 and like summer programs and stuff.

Chill out. 1860 isnt that bad but try to improve if you're a junior. If you improve it like at least to a 2100 then you're in OK shape. If you're a junior, colleges still accept October's.. I believe so WORK HARD over the summer and get a 2100...

Good Luck
  • .illogic.illogic Posts: 246Registered User Junior Member
    A girl from my school got into princeton with an 1850, but she was hispanic and insanely involved with every school- or community-related activity imaginable.

So it's possible, but not likely.
  • fhqwgads2005fhqwgads2005 Posts: 944Registered User Member
    Do something really unique. Discover something, invent something, start a foundation or company, or something along those lines.
  • fhqwgads2005fhqwgads2005 Posts: 944Registered User Member
    Also, small liberal arts colleges (at least a lot of them) put a LOT less weight on standardized test scores. They care more about strength or your high school record. Also, you can get as good or better education at most of them. open your eyes to more than just the ivies.
  • MintieMintie Posts: 478Registered User Member
    Do something really unique. Discover something, invent something, start a foundation or company, or something along those lines.

That sounds a lot harder than imporving SAT scores to me. :/ lol

And OP: is this your first time? Study over the summer. You can definitely improve! However, with your SAT scores now, getting into an Ivy League school is difficult.
  • akalboyakalboy Posts: 847Registered User Member
    Getting into an ivy would be difficult unless you're a minority and you have stellar grades and are extremely involved in EC. but if you live in NY, maybe you could get into one of the Cornell programs that's public?
  • DeltaRoyaleDeltaRoyale Posts: 596Registered User Member
    depends on your ethnicity (or other factors). i knew someone who had a low 1900 who is at yale
  • Gryffon5147Gryffon5147 Posts: 3,765Registered User Senior Member
    You have time!!! Work on it over the summer. If this is your first time, I've seen people go up by 300's on their second take.