Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What do you think about my first Sat 1 Exam Scores?

ahmedibrahim254ahmedibrahim254 Posts: 15Registered User New Member
edited December 2007 in SAT Preparation
Hello,What do you think about my first Sat 1 Exam Scores?Beside this I studied Math the MOST but I don't know why I got such grade!Please tell me your opinion.

Critical Reading: 350
Math: 450
Writing: 380
Post edited by ahmedibrahim254 on

Replies to: What do you think about my first Sat 1 Exam Scores?

• jsmith7651jsmith7651 Posts: 449Registered User Member
    Well, If you tell us your approach for the Mathematics section and how you prepared, we can better suggest you.

"studying" does not mean just taking practice tests over and over again. This is just to get you familiar with the test and your patience.

The real study is when you do each section separately. You will then have to review what ever you did wrong.

Math: First read the question properly twice. Understand what it is asking. Most people mess up by reading this. an example would be.. the question might ask you for perimeter and you will calculate area. This is a common mistake and I personally experienced it and I still make that mistake.

If you dont know the concept, review it.

Math is all practice plus practice doesnt mean taking practice tests over and over you have to review your mistakes.. then therefore you will not make that same mistake.

Critical Reading:

Your Score seems low. Id say starting off with vocabulary. It doesnt matter what word list you choose. Make sure you are consistent with it. Dont switch. Some people switch from one to another with different opinions from others.

Freerice.com -- Good website. You are learning vocabulary words plus helping stop world hunger.

Writing:

Take Kaplan's Writing Workbook from the library and master it. That will definitely put you well above 500. I am not guaranteeing it but it will require some extensive work.

Book Suggestions:

The Official SAT Study Guide ( also known as the BLUE BOOK) for now.

Go to Borders and sit and study through each book and see which one(s) is/are best for you.

Overall, its a good start. You made a good acheivement by going through 4 hours of a test. Some people still dont have that extreme work/patience.

Hope that helps.
  • ahmedibrahim254ahmedibrahim254 Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    Thank You, this message really helped me!
  • TsenguunTsenguun Posts: 1,341Registered User Senior Member
    Well, I got similar score when I took it in Oct: 440CR, 560W, 750M. And I prepped for my SATII's in Nov and then got back to my SATI prep. A few days ago, I got scores which were a 800M, a 570CR, and a 590W. I could improve by 210 points in 2 months (actually one as I said above). All you have to do is PRACTICE!!! Practice as much as you can and it will pay you off!!!

Good luck and Don't worry. SAT's are not everything in the college admission!!!
  • akvareliakvareli Posts: 975Registered User Member
    The key to increasing your SAT scores is practice!
    I went from:
    PSAT of 176>219
    SAT: 2100.
    I practiced over thesummer alot. Get the blue book. READ , READ, Read!!
  • amb3ramb3r Posts: 1,504Registered User Senior Member
    1180/2400......
  • Joe_L514Joe_L514 Posts: 583Registered User Member
    Is this a troll?
  • D-YuD-Yu Posts: 995Registered User Member
    Practice is key, but there's no use doing practice without the strategies. I've heard Barron's teaches you pretty much about everything, and PR is really good on strategies. I've used both (and the Blue Book) for the PSAT, and went from a 192 sophomore to a 232 junior. Good luck!
  • RahoulVARahoulVA Posts: 1,364Registered User Senior Member
    I just wish that I would have studied these books during the summer because on practice tests I average just 2-4 questions missed on the math which is equal to a 700+, but on the PSAT this year I didn't get a 210(still do'nt know but I wasn't confident on it) because the only book I had read up till then was Princeton Review and that was before I started studying.
  • thesmithsthesmiths Posts: 578Registered User Member
    I went from a 1610 to a 2010 with two months of prep. As long as you're not a senior, I wouldn't say that it isn't plausible for you to get a 2050+.
  • llpitchllpitch Posts: 4,318Registered User Senior Member
    No, MOST people in the world are not as smart as the general population on CC. 1180 is a pretty average score for most people. Not everyone can get 2200+ you know =]
  • seclusionseclusion Posts: 78Registered User Junior Member
    ^^ True, but average? Maybe on the old SAT. I thought the mean on the 2400 scale was around 1500? No offense to OP...

With a lot of practice, you can probably raise that score a couple hundred points. It's also easier to improve low scores. That's sort of an insult and encouragement rolled into one. Eeekk...I'll just shut up now.