Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

list of books to prepare from

alex.gmdalex.gmd Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2008 in SAT Preparation
i compiled this list of books i wanna use to prepare for next sat... tell me which I should buy and other books i should consider. thx... i dont wanna use all of them... just help me chose which one are the of best use
here is the list:

Princeton review

Cracking the SAT with DVD, 2009 Edition (College Test Prep) June 10th
Or 2008 Edition
11 Practice Tests for the SAT and PSAT, 2009 Edition (College Test Prep) July 8th
Or 2008 Edition
Cracking the SAT French Subject Test, 2007-2008 Edition (College Test Prep)
Cracking the SAT U.S. & World History Subject Tests, 2007-2008 Edition (College Test Prep)
Cracking the SAT Math 1 and 2 Subject Tests, 2007-2008 Edition (College Test Prep)

Collegeboard

The Official SAT Study Guide
The Official Study Guide for All SAT Subject Tests (Real Sats)
The Official SAT Subject Tests in Mathematics Levels 1 & 2 Study Guide (Official Sat Subject Tests in Mathematics Levels 1 & 2 Study Guide)
The Official SAT Subject Tests in U.S. & World History Study Guide (Official Sat Subject Tests in U.S. History and World History)

Kaplan

Kaplan SAT 2009, Premier Program (CD-ROM) (Kaplan SAT (w/CD)) July 1st
Kaplan SAT 2400, 2008 Edition: Advanced Prep for Advanced Students (Kaplan New Sat 2400)
Kaplan SAT Subject Test: Mathematics Level 2, 2008-2009 Edition (Kaplan SAT Subject Tests: Mathematics 2)
Kaplan SAT Subject Test: U.S. History, 2008-2009 Edition (Kaplan Sat Subject Tests Us History)
Kaplan SAT Subject Test: World History, 2008-2009 Edition (Kaplan Sat Subject Test. World History)
Kaplan SAT Critical Reading Workbook, 3rd Ed
Kaplan SAT Math Workbook, 3rd Ed (Kaplan SAT Math Workbook)
Kaplan SAT Writing Workbook, Third Ed (Kaplan Sat Writing Workbook)

BARRON’ BOOKS

Barron's SAT Subject Test Math Level 2 2008 with CD-ROM (Barron's)
How to Prepare for the SAT II French: with Audio Compact Discs (Barron's How to Prepare for the Sat II French)
Barron's SAT Subject Test in U.S. History, 2007 (Barron's How to Prepare for the Sat II United States History)
Barron's SAT Subject Test World History 2008 (Barron's How to Prepare for the Sat II World History)
Math Workbook for the New SAT (Barron's Math Workbook for the Sat I)3rd Edition
Critical Reading Workbook for the SAT (Critical Reading Workbook for the Sat)
Writing Workbook for the New SAT (Barron's Writing Workbook for the New Sat)
Barron's SAT 2400: Aiming for the Perfect Score 2008 (Barron's SAT 2400)
How to Prepare for the SAT with CD-ROM (Barron's How to Prepare for the Sat I)

Other

Gruber's Complete SAT Guide 2009 (Gruber's Complete SAT Guide -12th Edition)
The Rocket Review Revolution: The Ultimate Guide to the New SAT (Third Edition) (Rocketreview Revolution: The Ultimate Guide to the New SAT)
Post edited by alex.gmd on

Replies to: list of books to prepare from

• yipyip0901yipyip0901 Posts: 1,072Registered User Senior Member
    u definitely need to get a official sat guide,this guide has the most accurate practice tests.
    princeton review 11 practice is really good,not bad,i raised my score for 400 points after i finished this book.. not lying...
  • ButternutButternut Posts: 2,002Registered User Senior Member
    I don't recommend Kaplan.
  • eeeericeeeeric Posts: 540Registered User Member
    i would prefer kaplan over princeton review.
  • stone_cutterstone_cutter Posts: 783Registered User Member
    All you really need is the collegeboard official guide.
  • JakeusJakeus Posts: 369Registered User Member
    I picked up
    -Official Collegeboard book (essential, for practice)
    -Grubers 11th edition (math and writing, don't know what is different in 12th version)
    -RocketReview (Writing + Additional Strategies/tips)
    -Barron's 2400 (Critical Reading)

Don't forget the Online Collegeboard Course, 6 additional practice tests along with detailed solutions to the official blue book make this a no-brainer for me.

I have a Kaplan book, but the only thing I will ever use it for is to glance over the vocabulary, just to see if I missed out on any words.

This is for the SAT I of course, I don't know much about prep books for the SAT II.
  • mcgyver1mcgyver1 Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    -Blue Book
    -Testmasters answers
    -Rocket Review

(and sparknotes, but that's free)
  • jumpngojumpngo Posts: 512Registered User Member
    - blue book
    - supplementary online course (70 dollars) but def. worth it b/c
    - more practice questions, quizes, lessons, tests, and answers to BB tests
  • legend.draculalegend.dracula Posts: 648Registered User Member
    No one chooses Barron's SAT 2400 ??? I think it's effective.
  • JakeusJakeus Posts: 369Registered User Member
    ^ I did, and yes, I do think it is effective.
  • alex.gmdalex.gmd Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
    thx people, but how about any of the workbooks? do they worth anything?
  • aphrodite123aphrodite123 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    Okay I personally would NOT go with the workbooks if I were you, unless you are seriously struggling with a particular area of the SAT. I own the "Cracking the SAT" princeton review book and think that it works just fine. You may feel that the book is a bit informal at the beginning, but stick with it and read it dozens of times and you'll be fine. I think that the Princeton Review does an excellent job with test prep- they helped me score within the top percentile on my PSAT and I'm planning to take private tutoring with them in the summer.

In all honesty, though, I say that because really that is the first thing I picked up and it worked for me. But I've used Kaplan too and found it just as useful. People get so worried over the whole "princeton review versus kaplan" thing that they don't stop to think that each one helps in its own way. I think that Kaplan just stresses you out about the test more. I also really like the princeton's review's service-my tutor not only gives me great college advice but also seems to know my weaknesses so well it's creepy. ; )

Stick with whatever appeals to you (if you're looking for some fast, score-raising tips go with P.Review-- if you want a really vocab-based study plan, i agree that kaplan does a great job with that).

And about the subject tests-- i wouldn't really worry too much about those books. it's a waste of money; do well in your core classes and just get something to get your high/perfect score. they really are not that difficult.

Oh yeah and one more thing- I agree that all the "Official Guide" books are extremely helpful, especially if you are cramming, because they are really to-the-point and have lots of practice drills.

I have to admit that the "Cracking the SAT" book from the P.Review has only 3 practice tests in it, but if you are buying it go ahead and get the "11 practice tests" book with it. But don't do what I did and use them all up quickly-- the 11 practice tests tend to be somewhat similar so give yourself a break in between them. That was my testing downfall.

Well, that's all I have to say ;) There's no PERFECT book out there- it really all depends on your ability and dedication. the book can only do so much.