Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

hard math problem

Ivan_StanchevIvan_Stanchev Posts: 558- Member
edited November 2008 in SAT Preparation
Let f(x)=x^2 - 5x +2 and g(x) = f(x-4)
Find the positive root of the equition f(x) = g(2)

I solved this ,the answer is 7, but do you thnik problem like this appears on the SAT ?It is from Barron`s 2400 club and is marked as ''hard'' In this book there are no 'easy' problems and the medium ones are the ones that we consider as ''hard'' on the real test.So this is supposed to be a ''superhard'' :}
Post edited by Ivan_Stanchev on

Replies to: hard math problem

• anhtimmyanhtimmy Posts: 3,256Registered User Senior Member
    i don't think it will be on it.
    I've seen problems like this and this is way above the level of an ETS question.
  • meadow36meadow36 Posts: 5,620Registered User Senior Member
    This type of question is likely to appear on the SAT IIC but not on SAT I Math.Though the question itself isn't that difficult, it is possible this could be on the Last few on....
  • Ivan_StanchevIvan_Stanchev Posts: 558- Member
    I love books like Barron`a 2400 that prepare you for the hardest things and you feel the real test much easier.I recommend it it.It is great and somehow while reading it,you become a friend with the author and understand everything he/she says
  • ArachnotronArachnotron Posts: 1,761Registered User Senior Member
    That's not an SAT I question; it's too straightforward, lol.
  • Shubham92Shubham92 Posts: 362Registered User Member
    ^agreed

it's likely to show up as an easy level problem on the SAT II math, but for SAT I, it seems too straightforward and also because it wayyy too time consuming. I dont see how you could solve it in <30 seconds, which is the amount of time each math problem on SAT I is designed to take you...that is, if you do it the ETS way.
  • gcf101gcf101 Posts: 2,214Super Moderator Senior Member
    In <30 sec:
    g(2) = f(2-4)
    g(2) = f(-2)
    f(x) = f(-2)
    Since x=2.5 is an axis of symmetry of parabola y=x^2-5x+2 (remember -b/2a)
    f(7) = f(-2)
    Wow you don`t have 30 sec only,you have about a minute .For example 18 questions for 20 minutes;]
    But you may spend 1.5 minutes for this type of questions and no more than 20 seconds f or each of the first 3 questions
    If you're (really) good, all problems should take the same time; that is, they should all be similarly easy.
    Ok ,so according to , 2x+2 = 8 and the above problem take the same amount of time ?
    Well, the real SAT doesn't have computationally intensive problems; higher difficulty problems just have "trickier" solutions.