Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Kaplan 12 Practice Tests -- Easier or Harder?

ArachnotronArachnotron Posts: 1,761Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2008 in SAT Preparation
To anyone who has used the Kaplan 12 Practice Tests for the SAT: Are they typically "harder" than the real thing or "easier"?

Thanks!
-Arachnotron
Post edited by Arachnotron on

Replies to: Kaplan 12 Practice Tests -- Easier or Harder?

• anhtimmyanhtimmy Posts: 3,256Registered User Senior Member
    Kaplan's unreliable.
    Just look at the CR section. Some sections have 25 questions which isn't one bit like the real SAT.

Also, the tests are really unrealistic, just stick to CB material
  • QuicksandslowlyQuicksandslowly Posts: 1,514Registered User Senior Member
    Crap, I just bought Kaplan 12...meh. I already used up all the CB materials available in the past and still remember all the answers...lol. So....

Which one is better?: 1) PR 11 Tests or 2) Kaplan 12 Tests
  • meadow36meadow36 Posts: 5,620Registered User Senior Member
    ^None. Only use real CB practice tests. The others will mislead you. And yeah Kaplan is just plain bad.
  • ArachnotronArachnotron Posts: 1,761Registered User Senior Member
    Quicksandslowly, if you've done that, then that's an indication that you've done all you can to prep for the SAT =P

I ask because I really would like to reserve my CB stuff until the very brink of the real exam.
    ^Why don't you just space out your remaining CB tests? That way you won't run out and you can analyze each result real carefully.
    Well, I sort of use these exams to keep my mind fresh more than anything else; a year ago I scored a 2340, but since I'm aiming for a perfect this time, I can't allow any skill to atrophe. So I'm doing 1 test a day or so...
    ^Holy 2340!? Why spend time getting a 2400? BTW, any tips on CR? It's the only section killing me...got a 690 on it.

Umm well, when I studied for SAT in the past, I used up all the CB materials. Now, I have none left, unless someone gives me a copy of the Oct 2008 test. Yeah, so if I just had to use PR or Kaplan, which one is better?
    ^And you once tried to tell me not to retake a 790...pshh...anyways I think if you reach that level of SAT greatness taking tests from Kaplan won't do you much good. Try prep book like Barrons 2400..
    Well, yeah, but after seeing SO MANY PEOPLE like you, I realized that deep down inside, I'm one of you. Or perhaps I've been assimilated. Anyway, it's just seeing people retaking 2300's sort of makes me want to retake mine...=/

It sucks.
    Haha, dude this is CC, the place where all the brightest students in America amass...
    ^^haha yeah but isn't 2340 like 99+, wheras Math IIC is lik 89%. And don't be another ChoklitRain...he's truly insane. Not all CC'ers are even that crazy.
    I probably won't show up to the test center because in all probability I won't get my 2400 or even go up for that matter, meh...the stress of college admission!

EDIT: Yeah, you know what? Screw it. I'm not taking it again. I don't want to be another ChoklitRain.
    Oh, CR? Funnily enough, I used the Kaplan workbook! It's primarily what I attribute to my 680 -> 760 jump.
    ^Lol, that's the spirit. Focus on your college essays! They are just as important as SATs.

Btw, any tips/books for CR? :D
    Lol, dangit I wasted that when I was a sophmore and didn't know anything...too bad I still remember the answers and passages.

Umm I just got PR reading and writing workbook and Kap 12 hope that helps lol.

Thanks though!