Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Direct Hits

abdul0393abdul0393 Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2009 in SAT Preparation
Hey guys, I will be taking the January SAT. This is my first time and I was just wondering whether Direct Hits Core Vocabulary or Direct Hits Toughest Vocabulary would be more useful to learn the vocabulary on the SAT. (more hits)

Thanks
Post edited by abdul0393 on

Replies to: Direct Hits

• nguyenminhhieuhnguyenminhhieuh Posts: 284Registered User Junior Member
    You'd be better off learning ALL the words from these two lists b/c they are equally important. While one helps you decide quickly on the easy, and medium questions, the other enables you to conquer harder, even the hardest question. Isn't that a big deal? Def :D.
    I think that several hundreds is not a very big number, given there are still round 20 days away to the Dec Test. But you must get prepared from now. I suggest learning 30 words a day.
  • FlibbFlibb Posts: 1,044Registered User Senior Member
    DK'S best combo: PR, RR AND DH!
    Flibb, couldn't agree with you more ^^
  • abdul0393abdul0393 Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    anyone else with tips on best lists for the SAT vocab and which DH is better?
  • lolilaughedlolilaughed Posts: 1,130Registered User Senior Member
    Just buy both; I don't think any which one is better than the other.
  • skillzmrskillzmr Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    i ordered both DH books last week and i will receive them this Friday,(15 days before I take the December SAT)
    my vocab is not too bright
    will I have ample time to get all the amount of words stuck in my head?
  • ArachnotronArachnotron Posts: 1,761Registered User Senior Member
    I just got DH (vol 1) today and have memorized every word. And my memory sucks. I think you'll have time, skillsmr.
    by the way how many words does vol 1 have??
    and how many words in the other book?
  • anhtimmyanhtimmy Posts: 3,256Registered User Senior Member
    Direct Hits is divided into two volumes
    Volume 1 has 190 words. contains the core words, prefix words, and some other
    Volume 2 has 176 words. (Passage words, multi-definition words, words pertaining to subject areas like science social studies etc, and two "toughest" word sections)

I don't have my books on me, but if you were to only buy one, I'd go for the second book.
  • rockerguyasjrockerguyasj Posts: 561Registered User Member
    you can also try using FreeRice. It tests you on vocabulary and every time you identify the correct definition; they donate 20 grains of rice to the world food bank. It's a great cause and it helped me a lot on the CR section!
  • llpitchllpitch Posts: 4,318Registered User Senior Member
    lol you memorized every word in one night? Hopefully you keep reviewing every day or you're gonna forget most of those.
    Personally I suppose that LEARNING new vocabulary is not one of memorization only; you have to master the words as well. I LEARNT about 1500 words in about 2.5 months, using Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary and some word lists. I didn't have to memorise/cram that much though, just letting the words "flow" into my head.
    Just want to share my OWN experience. Well, I picked up 10 random words from a list at a time, looked up the definitions and EXAMPLES in both the list and the dictionary (sometimes there are sharp differences between their explanations) and then tried to adopt it to my writing/ speaking, whatever. When going through about 100 words, I moved on to revising the 100 words preceding these words, not these words themshelves. If there were any word that I was not sure of, or completely unfamiliar with, I used flashcards (my hand-made one, of course :) ) Repeated this process until I could tell the meaning of a random word with confidence.

Hope this helps :D
  • anhtimmyanhtimmy Posts: 3,256Registered User Senior Member
    Lol, "learnt" is british.
    you'll rarely find it in american text.

I use DH because i enjoy reading the little anecdotes in there :]
  • ArachnotronArachnotron Posts: 1,761Registered User Senior Member
    I found them easy to memorize because I knew 95% of them already :P