Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Calling all good math people. Rocket Review vs. Grubers 2009 SAT study guide

jearbear9438jearbear9438 Posts: 31Registered User New Member
edited November 2013 in SAT Preparation
Which book has a better math section? Which book would I see the fastest improvements to my math score? Thanks for info.
Post edited by jearbear9438 on

Replies to: Calling all good math people. Rocket Review vs. Grubers 2009 SAT study guide

• jearbear9438jearbear9438 Posts: 31Registered User New Member
    Which is better with the sat math section and would give you the fastest improvement within a month?
  • PhishyPhishy Posts: 380Registered User Member
  • dolcevalsedolcevalse Posts: 495Registered User Member
    Really, I'd say use your school textbook EXCESSIVELY. Like do every other problem in your textbook. That way, you'll understand math, you'll understand your school math hw, you'll do better in your math class. It's a triple-win situation. Any book that has loads of math problems is an excellent one.

As for CR and Writing, I beg to differ.
  • anhtimmyanhtimmy Posts: 3,256Registered User Senior Member
    dolcevalse, you seem to have minimal knowledge about SAT Math

Sure it easy topics like algebra, geometry, and algebra II, but ETS uses these topic to a "whole nother lvl". Knowing just the formulas will not get you anywhere with the SAT. You have to know how to manipulate it.

So basically, high school math =/= SAT Math.
  • jamesfordjamesford Posts: 3,447Registered User Senior Member
    In terms of a math review (e.g. lessons on probability, forgotten algebra, etc.) use Grubers. However, I'm using RR and some of the techniques presented are simply ingenious.
    Really, I'd say use your school textbook EXCESSIVELY.

This is really bad advice, at least for the SAT (doing textbook problems is fine for math class, not for the SAT). You want to do as little math as possible on the SAT and as much thinking as possible. More math/calculations = more opportunities for stupid mistakes and more time wasted. For the easier math problems on the SAT, go for the simple calculations. But if you find that you're setting up a system of three equations for any SAT problem, there's definitely a shortcut.
  • anhtimmyanhtimmy Posts: 3,256Registered User Senior Member
    ^ couldn't agree with him more
  • dolcevalsedolcevalse Posts: 495Registered User Member
    i guess i improperly assumed that you would develop a good sense of mathematical thinking after you learn math properly from a textbook or on your own. being a self studier, i've found that doing many questions from my precalc textbook in freshman year helped me see connections in mathematics much more easily.

so you can either study for the sat or actually learn math. simply put.
  • KarpovKarpov Posts: 647Registered User Member
    good one dolcevalse
    both books are just a bunch of questions. while they help, if u really wanna do well u need to have good problem solving skills and such skills are developed by extensive work
  • jamesfordjamesford Posts: 3,447Registered User Senior Member
    i guess i improperly assumed that you would develop a good sense of mathematical thinking after you learn math properly from a textbook or on your own. being a self studier, i've found that doing many questions from my precalc textbook in freshman year helped me see connections in mathematics much more easily.

so you can either study for the sat or actually learn math. simply put.

Learn math "properly" from a textbook? Right... If you want to actually learn math and not memorize a bunch of formulas and apply them to recipe problems, get a copy of any AoPS book. Chances are your school textbook sucks.
  • ArachnotronArachnotron Posts: 1,761Registered User Senior Member
    ^ I couldn't agree more.
  • Bigb14Bigb14 Posts: 2,044Registered User Senior Member
    ^I couldn't agree more with your agreement.

Yeah... whoever it was that said to use your school textbook is wrong. the SAT does not test school math. get that into your head right now. There is no point in studying out of a precalc textbook for something that you probably learned in 7th grade. I would go with Gruber's. Remember, it's not the question itself. It's how they test it.
    but there are other maths text books for schools, which cover only maths problems like the ones in the SAT
  • Jennifer93Jennifer93 Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    How does barrons and rr math compare to Dr chungs?
  • YangfizzYangfizz Posts: 151Registered User Junior Member
    PWN the SAT is all you need for math section.