Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How often are figures actually drawn to scale in the SATI?

wb555wb555 Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2009 in SAT Preparation
I've seen multiple prep books that tell you that most SAT figures are actually drawn to scale. Is this true? Or is this more of a once-in-a-blue-moon kind of thing?
Post edited by wb555 on

Replies to: How often are figures actually drawn to scale in the SATI?

• Dagol12Dagol12 Posts: 285Registered User Junior Member
    All figures are draw to scale unless it states : "Figure not draw to scale."
  • Bigb14Bigb14 Posts: 2,044Registered User Senior Member
    most figures are drawn to scale... I still recommend you solve the problems algebraically though.
  • 4.04.0 Posts: 177Registered User Junior Member
    It doesn't matter if the figures are drawn to scale.

You don't have rulers or protractors so it doesn't matter. The only reason some harder problems have figures not drawn to scale is to trap people who will guess. As long as you know how to solve the problem it doesn't make a difference.
  • GodfatherbobGodfatherbob Posts: 1,311Registered User Senior Member
    When figures are not drawn to scale it's usually to your advantage to redraw them to scale. The reason why some pictures aren't drawn to scale is to make the problem harder by withholding that "visual cue" that you get from seeing things drawn to scale. If a problem calls for a special right triangle theorem but you don't see the shape of a right triangle it's a harder problem than one that shows you that shape.
  • kameronsmithkameronsmith Posts: 1,691Registered User Senior Member
    Godfatherbob: I strongly disagree. Redrawing is a HUGE waste of time.

Just solve them algebraically. Sometimes I just cover up the diagram.
  • wb555wb555 Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
    "You don't have rulers or protractors so it doesn't matter."

You are not allowed to bring those? Serious question. I have only taken the SATI twice before and have never tried to bring them with me, so I'm honestly clueless about this.

@Godfatherbob: Thanks for the info.
  • Bigb14Bigb14 Posts: 2,044Registered User Senior Member
    XD no you're not allowed to use anything other than a number 2 pencil and a calculator for the math section

and your brain, but that's pretty standard.
  • wombatsoupwombatsoup Posts: 1,156Registered User Senior Member
    Bring multiple pencils, use on as a straight edge to draw on the stuff. Just for visuals, not for perfect scale.
  • 4.04.0 Posts: 177Registered User Junior Member
    How can you even redraw them to scale before solving?

Those questions usually ask for an angle measure or side length, which is necessary to redraw the figure.

By the time you have enough information to redraw the picture you will be able to solve the problem.
  • anhtimmyanhtimmy Posts: 3,256Registered User Senior Member
    All figures are draw to scale unless it states : "Figure not draw to scale.

There is your answer.
  • wb555wb555 Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
    Hahaha, I feel like such a dolt now.

Thanks for the info, people.
  • SpartyOnSpartyOn Posts: 124- Junior Member
    When a question says "Figure not drawn to scale," the figure is either so close to scale that you cannot tell much difference, or the figure is grossly disproportionate. Watch for problems where the question states a triangle is equilateral, but the figure shows a tall isosceles triangle.