Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

How to Attack the SAT Critical Reading Section Effectively

Replies to: How to Attack the SAT Critical Reading Section Effectively

• Selena731Selena731 Registered User Posts: 485 Member
    finally someone who agrees with me that SAT passages should be enjoyed, unlike what kaplan has been telling us "never pay too much attention to these passages, they're not there to be enjoyed"
    i agree that once you actually absorb the information given and take interest, you understand the meaning and the tone of the passage more =]
    thanks so much for the method ^_^
  • NoitaraperpNoitaraperp Registered User Posts: 608 Member
    BobbyCT wrote:
    Very impressive tips and I appreciate you sharing them with us. Just out of curiousity, what are your thoughts, if any, on the ACT test?

Well to be honest I've never taken the ACT. But if what I hear is accurate, the ACT is certainly more tailored to a standard high school curriculum. I feel that the SAT is much more of a self-studier's test than the ACT.
    92jjxx wrote:
    noitaraperp, wut websites or books do u recommend reading to help with CR in general? i've heard nytimes, economist, and discovery magazine are good ones.
    since i wanna spend more time doing practice tests and studying vocab than "casual reading," i just need some suggestions of good reading material thats not too time consuming

I suppose NYTimes is fine but its not really that substantial, unless you go through the OpEd and the longer, more investigative pieces (rather than pure news if such a thing exists). I generally feel you should read material in print and not on a website because the SAT's on paper and more substantial reading is usually on paper. One suggestion I have for efficient daily online reading for the SAT is Interesting Thing on the Day. I get it as an RSS on my iGoogle homepage and the link is Interesting Thing of the Day. The articles are short but with a personal voice, so it's similar to some of the SAT articles. Furthermore, you learn some interesting tidbits.
    Selena731 wrote:
    finally someone who agrees with me that SAT passages should be enjoyed, unlike what kaplan has been telling us "never pay too much attention to these passages, they're not there to be enjoyed"
    i agree that once you actually absorb the information given and take interest, you understand the meaning and the tone of the passage more =]
    thanks so much for the method ^_^

Thanks! You're absolutely right. I also find I retain useful information from passages (God forbid!), often recalling things randomly in daily life (where did I learn THAT from - oh yeah, the SAT).
  • motivated_101motivated_101 Registered User Posts: 750 Member
    hey this is a great thread really helpful
    im just wondering how you got your hands on 25 sat tests? were they all from the cb?
    or did you use some prep book's practice test?
  • glaudium2glaudium2 Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    I agree that this is an amazing post. I've always been reading the blurb, going directly to line citations and marking them on the passage before starting to answer any questions. I used this after experimenting with various other methods. I read faster until I got to the marked spots. However, I felt like I was spending too much time in the beginning just to mark up the passage. I felt like I was wasting time, even though in reality I was actually saving time for later. Now I am more confident with what I've always been doing. Thanks so much! :] I hope you decide to post your methods on other sections of the test. I think many would appreciate it.
  • orange peelorange peel Registered User Posts: 647 Member
    about bubbling in per page: isnt it just as likely you'll mess up bubbling in this way? especially when youre in a rush near the end. plus youll have to switch to bubbling per question when time gets short which throws you off because of inconsistency.

this is all just speculation (ive only tried it a couple times). just curious before i try it out
  • manu101manu101 Registered User Posts: 592 Member
    Thanks for the amazing thread! I have done some things similar to your suggestions but next time I will try your full, complete steps when I practice. Great job :)
  • jubilantjubilant Registered User Posts: 549 Member
    What do you do when you're constantly stuck between two answer choices in the hard questions?
  • glaudium2glaudium2 Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    I forgot to ask this, but what do you do with fictional passages? Do you do anything different than what you do with nonfiction passages?
  • NoitaraperpNoitaraperp Registered User Posts: 608 Member
    jubilant wrote:
    What do you do when you're constantly stuck between two answer choices in the hard questions?

This:
    Stop internally justifying why one answer could be right, and instead make the shift to asking yourself why that answer could be wrong - play Devil's Advocate, as cliched as that may sound. I can't tell you enough how much this shift in thinking has helped me when I have been stuck between two seemingly correct choices.

You're trying to justify why you should keep an choice open. If you're stuck, put your focus into critically analyzing the subtle differences between the two choices, and then consult the passage. CHOICES ARE DIFFERENT.
  • jubilantjubilant Registered User Posts: 549 Member
    jk1120, what may not work for you could work for others and what works for others may not work for you. Just because this guide didn't help you doesn't mean its BS.

Noitaraperp, I read that and I've tried doing that but it hasn't proved to be very successful yet. Is it just a matter of practice, then?
  • afraidtoapplyafraidtoapply Registered User Posts: 390 Junior Member
    What is Devil's advocate?
  • halfHAVOChalfHAVOC Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    jk1120 so you just go to the questions and answer them as you go along the passage or you read the questions first and then go read the whole passage?
  • anhtimmyanhtimmy Registered User Posts: 3,256 Senior Member
    While answering the questions, you are basically getting the gist of the passage. It saves alot of time
  • 2010emily2010emily Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    this is AMAZING! I already have a positive outlook after reading this, and I can't wait to take the test again. Ill show them who is boss! :)
  • afraidtoapplyafraidtoapply Registered User Posts: 390 Junior Member
    What is Devil's advocate?
This discussion has been closed.