Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How to Attack the SAT Critical Reading Section Effectively

Replies to: How to Attack the SAT Critical Reading Section Effectively

• glegle Registered User Posts: 135 Junior Member
    2 questions.
    what books do you recommend using?
    Also, you mentioned making flashcards for all unknown words in the passages. I somehow feel that the "jargon" for passages in art, science, ect don't show up time after time. Or am I wrong about that???
  • orange peelorange peel Registered User Posts: 647 Member
    112358. I cant tell you how much that last post on p4 helped me thanks
  • orange peelorange peel Registered User Posts: 647 Member
    noita/everyone: if im missing around 0-1 per section (1-3 per CR) on Sentence Completion. How much should I spend on vocab? And that makes me wonder how only 300-600 words will do the job
  • ruvuittonruvuitton Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    When you said not to read the whole passage through without answering any questions, do you mean that I should read all the questions and try to answer them as I go? Because sometimes I have to read through all of them cause not all of them are in chronological order.... Oh, and how long should marking annotations take? I feel like i'm awfully slow at that.
  • cjgonecjgone - Posts: 1,520 Senior Member
    Noitaraperp, how much did your score improve from the first practice test you took compared to the real test?
  • NoitaraperpNoitaraperp Registered User Posts: 608 Member
    ^My first practice test was a blue book test and I distinctly remember that I only got a 1970 lol. I don't remember which rubric I used but it was pretty much standard and my English teacher graded my SAT essay. I had no trouble at all with math, but my writing was 690 and my reading was exactly 500. Though I had never really seen an SAT before, I was still surprised by my scores and I realized then that I had to work harder (and smarter by developing a strategy) if I wanted the option of better colleges.

Sorry everyone but I have been very busy and it's been hard to answer all your questions. I hope knowledgable CC members (such as 1123581321) will be able to jump in as well. I'm no expert on SAT books, but I thought my PR was quite good enough. Once I was really making progress I began to use a Barrons SAT 2400 book, but I found it quite quaint and outdated for some reason (they should lay off the annoying acronyms) - although it did have some interesting strategies.
  • NoitaraperpNoitaraperp Registered User Posts: 608 Member
    Gameaholic wrote:
    Great strategy, but the problem is when i begin reading the passage till the part i marked the line citation, i ask myself "what the heck am i suppose to think about this underline phrase". Even if i have annotations saying SUGGEST or AUTHOR INFERS, i can't make anything out of the underlined citations UNTIL i read the question itself, and then i have to go back to the passage and read it in context which consequently wastes a lot of time for me. So i ended up reading a certain portion of the passage two-three times.

I find it better off to just read the question, then i know what i am looking for and then read the passage in context. I was wondering if you encouter this difficulty in your method.

After a lot of practice with my method, I found that most of the questions fit into the mold of other questions I had previously encountered. Thus a quick glance (not too quick) at my annotation and the question reminded me what was being asked, and since I had just read the referenced lines, it was easy to answer the question unless more was needed (which you would sense if that were the case).

Remember that context is important, but most of the time for line references only from the beginning up to the point (or body) of reference (and perhaps one sentence after that reference) is necessary for comprehension of the correct answer.
  • 112358112358 Registered User Posts: 1,944 Senior Member
    noita, before we go about starting the Critical Reading sections in the SAT review books, should we read A LOT of books, magazines, newspaper, etc. (and memorize vocab) for many months first?

p.s. i'm going to be a junior in September

I can't answer for Noitaraperp, but I would recommend that you take a practice test to evaluate your abilities and form a study plan based on that. If you do well, you can forget the magazines and books and just focus on practice sections. If your score is far below your target, then considering how much time you have I'd suggest spending some time reading before diving into prep work. Assuming you're not planning on testing the first half of the year, you have plenty of time (I improved from 700 to 800 in six weeks).

Definitely start on vocab as soon as you can -- the more you spread it out, the better you'll remember it.
  • likalikalikalika Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    I insist that my students take AT LEAST one practice test every week. As we know the SAT is about nothing but knowing how to take the SAT.
    Do you know that there are only about 150 words that have appeared with continuing frequency over the last 9 years? Those and a few other words are all I have my students study.

And if any of coaches who work for me try to get them to learn more, I fire them.
  • mabsjenbu123mabsjenbu123 Registered User Posts: 2,770 Senior Member
    @likalika

I am very impressed!
  • 112358112358 Registered User Posts: 1,944 Senior Member
    Do you know that there are only about 150 words that have appeared with continuing frequency over the last 9 years?

Yes, but there are also words on each test that do not appear with frequency.
  • jubilantjubilant Registered User Posts: 549 Member
    Is that signature really necessary?
  • anhtimmyanhtimmy Registered User Posts: 3,256 Senior Member
    ^ No it wasn't.
    I have to agree with this completely. Not understanding is Not knowing is Not learning. There are keys to solving these problems but you must understand them in order to recognize them on the next practice test, on the next and the next. Only then can you understand what and why to answer on the real test.

Not a fan of Test Masters Books, but I do like Rock the Test.

Good luck All
This discussion has been closed.