Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How to Attack the SAT Critical Reading Section Effectively

Replies to: How to Attack the SAT Critical Reading Section Effectively

• YAHAYAHA Registered User Posts: 359 Member
    The original poster paraphrased and in some instances copied word to word the strategies that appear in Barrons SAT 2400 book. Just FYI.
  • 112358112358 Registered User Posts: 1,944 Senior Member
    @orange peel:

I can't remember specific sections, but in terms of composite scores:

2400, 2340, 2400 --> 2310 real, then 2400, 2310 --> 2400 real.
  • NoitaraperpNoitaraperp Registered User Posts: 608 Member
    YAHA wrote:
    The original poster paraphrased and in some instances copied word to word the strategies that appear in Barrons SAT 2400 book. Just FYI.

That is absolutely erroneous. Not only do I not own the book anymore, but I also wrote the entire article from my head. I'd like to see your proof that I either extensively paraphrased, or in your mistaken idiom, copied "word to word," anything from that outdated book.
  • YAHAYAHA Registered User Posts: 359 Member
    I am currently reading the book and about 80% of the tips in it are very close to yours. Unlike you, I dont have much time on my hands, but when I do, I ll make sure to provide some quotes from the book and pages so people can see for themselves.
  • coak007coak007 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    extremely helpful. Is there any way to tackle the writing section???
  • jamesfordjamesford Registered User Posts: 3,447 Senior Member
    2400, 2340, 2400 --> 2310 real, then 2400, 2310 --> 2400 real.

So you didn't finish the BB?
  • 112358112358 Registered User Posts: 1,944 Senior Member
    No, I just didn't list the first five tests (the last two are the ones on the CB website).

I believe my first five were something like 2250, 2260, 2300, 2290, 2300.
  • sporty04sporty04 Registered User Posts: 525 Member
    noita, did you practice for the math section with only the SAT review books or did you practice with other workbooks, like Barron's SAT workbook, too?

Also, do you know if Direct Hits (volumes 1 and 2) is a really good SAT vocab book to study from? Currently, I'm using WordSmart I, but I don't know if I should do WordSmart I and II and Direct Hits volumes 1 and 2 or just continue to only use WordSmart I (and maybe WordSmart II).

Thanks so much!
    YAHA wrote:
    I am currently reading the book and about 80% of the tips in it are very close to yours. Unlike you, I dont have much time on my hands, but when I do, I ll make sure to provide some quotes from the book and pages so people can see for themselves.

I'm really looking forward to your "direct quotes," because I don't take an accusation of plagiarism lightly at all. I don't know why you're angry, but I'd rather stay on the issue. Many of my suggestions do overlap with books because they're bound to get something right.
    sporty04 wrote:
    noita, did you practice for the math section with only the SAT review books or did you practice with other workbooks, like Barron's SAT workbook, too?

Also, do you know if Direct Hits (volumes 1 and 2) is a really good SAT vocab book to study from? Currently, I'm using WordSmart I, but I don't know if I should do WordSmart I and II and Direct Hits volumes 1 and 2 or just continue to only use WordSmart I (and maybe WordSmart II).

I practiced for the math section only with the practice tests. Math wasn't a hard point for me, but regardless, the practice tests, especially the real ones, are most helpful for math. This is due to the repetitive nature of the math questions - if you really understand all your math mistakes for the BB tests, you should do well. I've seen the difference of squares factorization question many times, as well as the absolute value inequality question. You start to recognize trends in what they emphasize.

I used WordSmart, not Direct Hits (though others vouch for it). Make sure you are really absorbing the vocabulary - just going through it won't do. I made hundreds of flashcards which I extensively reviewed (perhaps 3-4 times in total) and I made sure I could recall each word's definition and be able to use each word correctly in a sentence - the two basic things WordSmart gives you.
  • evan8baevan8ba Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    noita, do you have any recommendations for the long passage tone questions? or the "what is the author implying" questions? Those seem to give me the most trouble.
  • sporty04sporty04 Registered User Posts: 525 Member
    noita, i'm doing wordsmart I right now......but would you recommend me doing wordsmart II as well? (it just seems like there are a lot of words that won't show up on the actual SATs but I'm not sure...)

also, would you recommend following the long reading passages' "answer the questions as you go" advice for the short reading passages?

• MaoMao Registered User Posts: 233 Junior Member
    I read the Barrons 2400 for Critical Reading and it's similar but not exactly the same at all to this thread :P I'd say more of 40%, not 80%.
  • quequequequequeque Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    sweet thanks for the answer! really appreciate it, I didnt think about switching the order
    sporty04 wrote:
    noita, i'm doing wordsmart I right now......but would you recommend me doing wordsmart II as well? (it just seems like there are a lot of words that won't show up on the actual SATs but I'm not sure...)

also, would you recommend following the long reading passages' "answer the questions as you go" advice for the short reading passages?

thanks

As I said in the article, with short reading passages you should just read through them and then answer the questions, because they're short and retention won't be a big problem. You should try to get through the short reading passages quickly because if you obsess over them they can be a real time drain. Though Word Smart will give you a lot of words you won't see on the SAT (statistically), you'll have a bigger repertoire of vocabulary which can only help.
  • archi92archi92 Registered User Posts: 688 Member
    Noitaraperp,

Just want to announce you that your method is AMAZING !! I've just finished a CR section today and I've answered 5 more correct answers than I usually do. The method is extremely effective, condensed and easy to follow.

thanks noitaraperp ! ;)
This discussion has been closed.