Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

drinking red bull or 5-hour-energy drink before test...

smileeLvsmileeLv Posts: 345Registered User Member
edited October 2010 in SAT Preparation
Someone told me that drinking red bull or 5-hour-energy drink before the test helps you to concentrate...
Is this true?

I never drank either of those before, but should I try drinking them for the SAT1 test?
or is that too risky?
Post edited by smileeLv on

Replies to: drinking red bull or 5-hour-energy drink before test...

• Will7Will7 Posts: 141Registered User Junior Member
    Pretty risky. Try it out prior to taking the test, ie. tomorrow. If you feel a crash, don't risk it.
  • b00b00 Posts: 110Registered User Junior Member
    just get sleep. its the best and 100% guaranteed way to not be tired :D
  • lockdown22lockdown22 Posts: 297Registered User Junior Member
    If you have never drank either of them before I wouldn't advise it. I doubt you'll get any real negative effects, but personally I wouldn't take that chance.

On the last SAT though, I did use an energy drink/soda to help keep me awake (had only 2 hours of sleep the night before), and I believe that it did help me. But if I had the choice, I would rather have slept a good 7-8 hours before the test instead of drinking a sugary drink.
  • tofuisgood4utofuisgood4u Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
    It probably is true, but definitely not the first time around. I had friends who tried Red Bull for their first time and they were completely wired for hours on end; it's like one of those things that grows onto you.
  • stixxstixx Posts: 228Registered User Junior Member
    like the wise people above, i advise you to just get a bunch of sleep and ditch the energy drink.
  • DMOCDMOC Posts: 1,442Registered User Senior Member
    Good idea. However, I'm going to ditch the Red Bull and go with 9 hours of sleep.
  • cucumber1cucumber1 Posts: 211Registered User Junior Member
    Very risky. Will keep you awake, but you will be jittery and probably will have trouble focusing. Plus, caffeine is a diuretic. You don't want to pee your pants in the test.

If it were me, I'd go with the "Focus" Vitamin Water. And go to bed early. I've heard that mints help as well: PEOPLE WHO ATE MINTS WHILE TAKING THE SAT SCORED 5% BETTER THAN PEOPLE WHO DID NOT. No lie, my SAT tutor said so. That takes a 2000 to a 2100...I'm taking mints
  • SwaGGeReRSwaGGeReR Posts: 942Registered User Member
    Woot for mints!
  • smileeLvsmileeLv Posts: 345Registered User Member
    lol i'm not saying that I won't sleep. I probably will be in bed by 10. but it's just that I feel like I'm gonna lose focus after first 2 hours ( I usually lose focus for the last 3 sections) so I was thinking of trying the energy drinks.
    But yea, I agree it's too risky. Thanks guys.
  • altruitionaltruition Posts: 432Registered User Member
    MINTS...as in...breath mints? like those little peppermint packs you buy at a convenience store?
  • smileeLvsmileeLv Posts: 345Registered User Member
    oh can you eat mints during test?? I kinda want to eat mints/ candy like a lolipop/ chew gum or something during the test....
  • DMOCDMOC Posts: 1,442Registered User Senior Member
    Whoa, you guys seem to want to every advantage possible. :)

How about this ...

Go to sleep at 8 (well, at least get in bed by that time) ... make sure you have the stuff you'll need tomorrow...

Wake up 1.5 hours before the test starts ...

Wear comfortable clothing (tshirt ... no polo shirts/dress shirts unless you find them comfortable ... which I do not ) ...

Arrive at the test center and think positively. :)

NO drinks during the test, you don't want to have to pee.
  • aluminum_boataluminum_boat Posts: 1,413Registered User Senior Member
    Go run a mile. It'll get the blood flowing and wake you up.
    It doesn't have to be a fast or hard pace. Just enough to wake you up.

Don't take energy drinks. You'll be too jittery and will make stupid mistakes
  • nyuismydreamnyuismydream Posts: 208Registered User Junior Member
    Red bull is banned here. It has traces of cocaine in it :p

But yeah, I'm gonna drink a lot of green tea before the test. Just enough caffeine to get me awake.
  • fadygorgyfadygorgy Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    it depends, do you have a healthy heart, if you do take 5hr energy, i tried it before my sats and it worked i didn't feel board or tired at all, (kept shaking my leg thu) : ) and i didn't crash , i took it like right before it began