Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

direct hits 2010 edition.

yseon92yseon92 Posts: 27Registered User New Member
edited February 2010 in SAT Preparation
is it different from the volume 1?

im planning on buying direct hits core vocabulary & toughest.

im not sure if i should get 2010's editions or the original one.

because apparently theres 4 different direct hits

1. direct hits core vocabulary
2. direct hits toughest vocabulary
3. direct hits core vocabulary 2010 edition
4. direct hits toughest vocabulary 2010 eidtion.

thankss.
Post edited by yseon92 on

Replies to: direct hits 2010 edition.

• silverturtlesilverturtle Posts: 12,494Registered User Senior Member
    Get the two new ones.
  • pokratpokrat Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
    get the 2010 versions; they just have extra words which is obviously better.
  • joeblogsFAILSjoeblogsFAILS Posts: 542Registered User Member
    Are you serious? Of course the new one! Newer versions are supposedly improvements to formers.
  • ATLMOM13ATLMOM13 Posts: 260- Junior Member
    We have copies of both sets of books. The original books are now out of print, but the 2010 edition is available and has some good improvements. First of all there are a total of 35 new words and there are now tip boxes that give very helpful information about some of the hardest words.

Both my boys used other books but found Direct Hits to be the best by far. You can read many other threads/posts that support this.
  • HopefulEagle86HopefulEagle86 Posts: 1,380- Member
    Direct Hits is very helpful. I used to get half of the sentence completions wrong out of the 19 SCs given on the test. Now I get about 3 wrongs and 1 omit. My vocabulary has extended to the point where I can handle almost any of those on the exam. At my first section of first practice, I got no wrongs.
  • Jersey13Jersey13 Posts: 4,622Registered User Senior Member
    I take Mr. Krieger's SAT prep class so I get his books for free :)
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Posts: 12,494Registered User Senior Member
    take Mr. Krieger's SAT prep class so I get his books for free

How is he?
  • luv2sk8luv2sk8 Posts: 368Registered User Member
    how did you get into his class? is it helpful so far?
  • hornfrogfanhornfrogfan Posts: 99- Junior Member
    If you paid for the class then the books weren't free.

I used the old books last year along with RR and then got the 2010 books for my final try this fall and raised my critical reading score to 750, did not miss any SCs!
  • pens8711pens8711 Posts: 32Registered User Junior Member
    The Direct Hits books are fantastic. The examples are really helpful in further understanding the words and showing how they can be used in sentences. Learning vocabulary is the easiest with these books and a lot of the words do come up on the SAT. I highly recommend volumes 1 and 2 of the 2010 editions!
  • doughboy090891doughboy090891 Posts: 169Registered User Junior Member
    Amazon has both new editions in stock! Get em' while they're hot!
  • herandhisMomherandhisMom Posts: 573Registered User Member
    what's the difference bwt old and 2010 edition? I bought mine 2 months ago and studied through them. i don't suppose it's worth to get the latest version but i'd like to find out what's new.
  • HarambeeHarambee Posts: 2,604Registered User Senior Member
    ^They added some new words and new examples but overall there's not a huge difference between the 2010 version and the old one.
  • ATLMOM13ATLMOM13 Posts: 260- Junior Member
    herandhisMom- We have copies of both sets of books. The original books are now out of print, but the 2010 edition is available and has some good improvements. First of all there are a total of 35 new words and there are now tip boxes that give very helpful information about some of the hardest words.

Hornfrogfan- It looks like Rocket Review is now out of print.
  • hornfrogfanhornfrogfan Posts: 99- Junior Member
    That's too bad about Rocket Review. I read a CC thread last year that said that Direct Hits & Rocket Review was the best combination for critical reading and it really worked for me.