Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

sat writing question idiom error

sat4lyfesat4lyfe Posts: 361- Member
edited December 2009 in SAT Preparation
Five years in the writing her new book is both a response to her critics' mistrust with her
earlier findings and an elaboration of her original thesis. ^ ^

whats wrong with this sentence

i put mistrust with as the error
idiom error?

shouldn't it be mistrust of

or is mistrust with ok

i always lose my 800 because of idiom errors always for the past 3 tests stuck at 700 and 720
Post edited by sat4lyfe on

Replies to: sat writing question idiom error

• crazybanditcrazybandit Posts: 1,735Registered User Senior Member
    "mistrust with" is indeed incorrect.

"mistrust of" is correct but it is not an idiom, and you shouldn't blame your getting this question wrong on "idiom errors." an idiom is usually a grammatically incorrect phrase that is so commonly used that it is accepted.

you typically have to memorize idioms to know that they are correct.

knowing "mistrust of" requires reasoning, not memorization.

mistrust is an action. you put "of" after an action in order to indicate something that is acted upon.

the killing of Jane ---> Jane was killed
    the mistrust of her findings --> the findings were mistrusted, or not trusted

in other words, knowing these phrases is not as simple, or rather, as difficult, as memorizing them. "of" is a preposition that has many definitions. you simply need to apply the correct definition by reasoning, not memorization