Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

what's a good score for a 9th grader?

studyhardnowstudyhardnow Posts: 2Registered User New Member
edited January 2010 in SAT Preparation
Hi,
I'm the mother of a 9th grader. My daughter wants to get into top-tier college (ie. Top 100). We don't know if she's going to get the SAT scores that she needs, though. Knowing that someone can only improve his/her SAT so much even with test prep, what kind of score do you think she would need to get in the 9th grade to at least get a sense if after test preparation and of course 2 more years of high school-level work, she would be in the ballpark once she's in the 11th grade?
Thanks.
Post edited by studyhardnow on

Replies to: what's a good score for a 9th grader?

• MD MomMD Mom Posts: 6,728Registered User Senior Member
    Hopkins CTY has listings for what qualifies students for its programs based on year in school. That might give you an idea and it is probably on-line. For someone young to get into college level classes at a community college, a student needs about a 580.
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Posts: 12,494Registered User Senior Member
    Most students who score 1600-1800 with no preparation as freshmen tend to get 2100+ as juniors or seniors if they prepare well.
  • cyberchondriaccyberchondriac Posts: 456Registered User Member
    I scored 1980 in 8th grade no prep, two years later am at a 210 psat.
    you're supposed to raise about 100 points a year in general. Which i guess I matched, since psat scores are often a bit lower
  • RAlec114RAlec114 Posts: 2,644- Senior Member
    Without preparation, I would say:

1500 is average.

1500-1700 is above average.

1700-1900 is very smart.

1900+ is super smart

Also understand that SAT scores don't really rise that much year to year (unless if she takes in one year: geometry, algebra 1, or algebra 2, because those are the 3 math subjects that are in the SAT). After 9th grade, her reading comprehension ability will be roughly the same, and her knowledge of writing rules will roughly be the same. The only area of improvement to expect is in math.

How much she improves is up to her.
  • raideraderaiderade Posts: 2,499- Senior Member
    According to CTY, you should raise 50 points per year per section, plateauing (sp?) at junior year. Meaning if in 9th she scored M:610 CR:630 W:620, her predicted junior year score would be M:710 CR:730 W:720. Another good way to guage how your child is doing is to look at Johns Hopkins CTY or TIP or CTD and take a look at their qualifying scores for summer programs. If you qualify for CTY (not CAA) in 9th grade, you would need 610 CR and 670 M. If your child qualifies for a program like that, her scores will most likely be on par for a top school when she is older. I'm not saying if you go to CTY or some other talent search program that you will get into a top tier school, I'm only saying to use their cutoffs as a guage.
  • raideraderaiderade Posts: 2,499- Senior Member
    @RAlec114, I can't say I agree with that. I improved 100 points in writing, 110 points and 80 points in reading in one year with no prep. I heard your cognitive development plateaus more around 25 than as a young teen.
  • NavyBlueNinjaNavyBlueNinja Posts: 310Registered User Junior Member
    -School is the best prep she can get. My scores have increased about 150 points over a year
    -Princeton review is very good too. I have numberous Princeton review books.
    -Do the Collegboard's Question of the Day. I'm best at Math, Writing, and Vocab, and the daily question is Math, Writing, or Vocab, so there seems to be some degree of correlation.
  • mifunemifune Posts: 2,756Registered User Senior Member
    One can greatly increase his or her scores on the Math section with an increase in age and exposure to the academic subjects that stress problem solving. The SAT Math will often test one's aptitude for abstract reasoning which is not a fully developed skill until the late 20s or early 30s. Moreover, for high school students, I have read that reading speed increases by about 15 words per minute every year. Since time is such a valuable quantity on the SAT, reading swiftly yet efficiently is an invaluable skill. The ability to recognize errors in sentences and writing aptitudes increase with exposure to more literary material; thus, the Writing section is definitely a section that can be readily improved.
  • nidachtinidachti Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
    Doesn't the answer to that question depend, in large measure, on the quality of her high school program?
  • DroughtDrought Posts: 807Registered User Member
    This is an absurd question posed by a parent who needs to back off and chill a little. Honestly, I'm a little disturbed by the fact that a mom of a ninth grader is so worried about her child's SAT score at this point.
  • monstor344monstor344 Posts: 2,502Registered User Senior Member
    Also understand that SAT scores don't really rise that much year to year (unless if she takes in one year: geometry, algebra 1, or algebra 2, because those are the 3 math subjects that are in the SAT). After 9th grade, her reading comprehension ability will be roughly the same, and her knowledge of writing rules will roughly be the same. The only area of improvement to expect is in math.
    Really?

9th grade SAT CR: 570
    9th grade SAT W: 590
    11th grade SAT CR: 800
    11th grade SAT W: 800

Bottom line is that people develop at different stages. You can't tell if your child will have a 100-200 point increase in 2 years or a 520 point increase in 2 years (like I had). Odds are strong, though, that no skill of your son will plateau in 9th grade. Don't worry about how your son scores now. Rather, use that score as feedback for what your son should focus on moving forward.
  • niteangel1004niteangel1004 Posts: 89Registered User Junior Member
    Unless it's for a program like CTY, high school freshman SHOULD NOT take the SAT's lest even worry about tests.

This is why they have PSATs!!!

9th graders should be adjusting to high school and keeping up with grades. It's unwise to put unnecessary pressure.

NOBODY should start studying for the SATs until the end of Sophomore year or even during fall of Junior year.

Besides the fact that its pointless, if you start studying for the SATs earlier, you won't remember strategies when taking the test for real in Junior year.
  • cornetking222cornetking222 Posts: 994Registered User Member
    I was scoring around 2000 back in 9th grade. That should be an adequate point from which your daughter can begin serious prep.
  • SLightManifestoSLightManifesto Posts: 2,161Registered User Member
    "Most students who score 1600-1800 with no preparation as freshmen tend to get 2100+ as juniors or seniors if they prepare well. " I'll second this - I got a 170 as a Sophomore and my scores are not Ivy/Famous top (Top 20, but I'd say Tier 2 or Tier 3; Top 50).

If I get into Georgia Tech next year (realistic), you can basically consider that pretty close to Tier 1.

My advice to you now: Have her take the (P)SAT once Freshman year, don't study for the next year, maybe a couple days before her Sophomore (P)SAT, then start to study. GPA is very important - test scores aren't the only thing that get you into top schools.
  • cornetking222cornetking222 Posts: 994Registered User Member
    ^ Not really. Georgia Tech takes about everyone who applies from my school and is NO WHERE near the true tier 1's.