Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Direct Hits Vocabulary

Ricky TranRicky Tran Posts: 20Registered User New Member
edited June 2012 in SAT Preparation
Hi, i have the book and i was just wondering. Does anyone even read the examples that direct hits provides for each word? or do you simply go over the fast review pages? I find reading the examples very time consuming and memorizing the vocab on the reference pages much more efficient.
Post edited by Ricky Tran on

Replies to: Direct Hits Vocabulary

• RileyJonRileyJon Posts: 1,572- Senior Member
    You're also Ricky Tran, your mind is like a unicorn.
  • Ricky TranRicky Tran Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    lol whats that suppose to mean?
  • ...ehz...ehz Posts: 130Registered User Junior Member
    I think reading the examples helped me memorize the words better because they gave the word a good context. I memorized both direct hits in two days a bit back and I can still recall the examples of many words. Sometimes when I come across a word that appeared in Direct Hits that eludes me, I can often think of the definition of the word because i remember how the word was used in the example.
  • JehRonJehRon Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
    "You're also Ricky Tran, your mind is like a unicorn. "
    What?

OP: Reading examples would be helpful if you weren't already familiar with the usage of the word. Otherwise, I found reading the review sufficient.
  • SamWhichSamWhich Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
    Is this book really that great that you can just read it once and still comprehend all of the words?
  • shmluzashmluza Posts: 1,241Registered User Senior Member
    I read the words and the examples. Their examples are fun and help me remember the vocabs
    Is this book really that great that you can just read it once and still comprehend all of the words?
    No it is not, no such luck.
  • RAlec114RAlec114 Posts: 2,644- Senior Member

^Depends on your IQ. Some CC kids are geniuses. Haha.
  • ChillyPenguinChillyPenguin Posts: 381Registered User Member
    how many volumes are there?
    one is like 4th edition
    and i found another which is the 1st volume and the 2nd volume

which should i buy?
  • BobbyBaseballBobbyBaseball Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
    There are two volumes. One is called "Core Vocabulary" and the other is "Toughest Vocabulary". Start with "Core" as these are the words that appear with the greatest frequency.
    The Third Edition (if you can find it) is better than the Fourth Edition.
  • blankkblankk Posts: 368Registered User Member
    @BobbyBaseball

Why is that?
  • kitkatxookitkatxoo Posts: 124Registered User Junior Member
    I started out reading all the examples. They are cute, but it didn't really help me memorize them. I just studied off of the quick review and if I wanted a more detailed definition I went back and read them.
  • gomdorrigomdorri Posts: 712Registered User Member
    I find the examples time consuming so I just look over the words. I don't know where half of the examples come from either, so there is no point in reading them (for me at least). I have no trouble memorizing one chapter of Direct Hits a day. The only thing that gives me a tough time is memorizing a list of words that are in alphabetic order.

So yeah, the examples seem to help a lot of people but personally, I think they are a waste of time.
  • nyustern13nyustern13 Posts: 106Registered User Junior Member
    The examples really help if you are completely unfamiliar with the word.