Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Secret to 2000+ SAT Score

SagertSagert Posts: 566Registered User Member
edited May 2010 in SAT Preparation
It doesn't matter what SAT scores you guys have been getting on practice/real tests in the past. Everyone is capable of getting at the least a 2000 SAT score if they follow these simple steps:

1. Buy CollegeBoard's blue book with 10 practice tests for $13(new) or $7(used) on places such as Amazon. You are buying this book SOLELY for the practice tests.

2. Take a practice test a week. Don't do marathon test sessions where you take the whole test in one setting.

3. Review BOTH your right answers and your wrong ones. You review your right answers so you can identify what you're doing right and you review the wrong ones to fill gaps in your SAT knowledge.

The strategy above has been mentioned many times in the past, but this thread is a refresher.

I genuinely believe that the SAT score can be modeled by this following limit:
lim [SAT score function] = 2400
n->infinity
(Where n is the number of CollegeBoard tests you've taken and reviewed. Taking and reviewing CollegeBoard tests is the essence of Xiggi's method.)

Some optional tips to consider would be Noitaraperp's CR strategy and AcademicHacker's How to Write a 12 Essay in Just 10 Days.

Enjoy!
Post edited by Sagert on

Replies to: Secret to 2000+ SAT Score

• joeblogsFAILSjoeblogsFAILS Posts: 542Registered User Member
    Now if only there was something like this for 2300+...
  • Jersey13Jersey13 Posts: 4,622Registered User Senior Member
    I genuinely believe that the SAT score can be modeled by this following limit:
    n->infinity
    (Where n is the number of CollegeBoard tests you've taken and reviewed. Taking and reviewing CollegeBoard tests is the essence of Xiggi's method.)
    I'm not sure if this was an attempt at humor, but with the <30 CollegeBoard SAT tests available, your model predicts a 2400 score as an absolute impossibility.
  • IsraelexwiredIsraelexwired Posts: 86. Junior Member
    More like:

1. Listen at your math classes.

2. Read a book.
  • schoolisfunschoolisfun Posts: 1,238- Senior Member
    ^SAT math is not like math in school. CR is not the same as reading a book. Im a very avid reader and score only 680
  • everaryeverary Posts: 708Registered User Junior Member
    ^Word. I detest math and I get about three wrong per SAT at most. On the flip side, I love reading yet CR is my lowest score. I also enjoy writing and I got an 8 on my essay.

Agreed with the first poster that the Blue Book is all one needs (some people also add DirectHits for vocabulary; personally I think that's the easy part of CR)--to quote someone from CC, the SAT is about 10% tips and tricks (which is what you get from expensive tutoring and the like, most of which is in prep books anyway) and 90% practice. I cannot stress taking practice tests enough--they give you your score goals, tell you how long it takes to finish each section, and most importantly, make you more familiar with the test structure. The SAT multiple choice is designed to trick people sometimes.

I find that many high scorers (at least on CC) are likely to finish each section about 5-10 minutes early, giving time to double-check. Even high scorers in math miss 1 or 2 sometimes because they misread the question or did something completely stupid--for writing and math, double-checking is essential. Also, if you naturally score above 2000+, don't skip questions. You probably have enough "testing intuition" to narrow the choices down to your favor.

For the essay, I've heard "quantity over quality". No verification, but I'm trying that next time.
  • DownloadDownload Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
    ^ I definitely recommend you write the full 2 pages. I got a 9 on my first essay when I only wrote 1.25 pages, but I got an 11 on the second SAT by filling all the space. I recycled the same examples (2 literature and 1 personal), and I _really_ don't have an affinity for writing; thus, I believe the saying "quantity over quality" applies to the SAT essay so long as you do not ramble frequently.
  • JakeusJakeus Posts: 369Registered User Member
    I'm pretty sure you can get to the 2000s by studying things like math concepts, grammar errors, and vocabulary; above that is where practice really starts to help.
  • porkpersonporkperson Posts: 2,070Registered User Senior Member
    The only problem is that there is a limited amount of REAL practice SAT tests....

:(
  • misteranthonymisteranthony Posts: 421User Awaiting Email Confirmation Junior Member
    Anyone know a place to do more practice tests besides the 10 from the blue book? I heard that other tests besides the blue book aren't accurate to the real SAT
  • DownloadDownload Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
    misteranthony, did you finish all 10 practice tests? You should get the Princeton Review book with 11 tests, if so. It isn't exactly spot-on in gauging your test score; nevertheless, it is a useful resource to practice taking the SAT.

Edit: My brother used it, averaged 2100s for all 5 of the 11 practice tests he took, took the real SAT, and he scored a 2160. I guess that means the book is alright for practice.
  • btangbangbtangbang Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
    the secret to a 2000+ is just using your brain. period, like the remainder.
  • misteranthonymisteranthony Posts: 421User Awaiting Email Confirmation Junior Member
    @Download

haha definitely not..I'm taking a revolution SAT prep course (sort of wish I hadn't) right now and have been scoring around an 1800 in their practice exams, not sure how accurate they are though..

I have the blue book laying around that I"ll planning to study and finish this summer. (Freshmen currently) I"ll look into the princeton review one's. thanks
  • SagertSagert Posts: 566Registered User Member
    n->infinity
    This limit applies to everyone, but some ppl reach 2400 much quicker; this just shows the score at n approaches infinity. So one doesn't have to take an infinite amt of practice tests to achieve the perfect SAT score.

I should have mentioned that the 'SAT score function' is increasing and concave down. It does actually hit 2400(its absolute maximum) and is accurate in the short run(as long as you keep studying for the SAT).