Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is the ti-89 calculator allowed for the SAT?

russiaruns123russiaruns123 Posts: 331User Awaiting Email Confirmation Member
edited May 2010 in SAT Preparation
Just a quick question: is the ti-89 allowed for the SAT?
Post edited by russiaruns123 on

Replies to: Is the ti-89 calculator allowed for the SAT?

• benhparkbenhpark Posts: 745- Member
    nope, only -83, -83 plus, -84, etc... or a simple calculator (+,/,*,-) is allowed. Besides, you wont need to use complex calculations for the sat...
  • russiaruns123russiaruns123 Posts: 331User Awaiting Email Confirmation Member
    I am aware that I don't need the calculator for complex calculations but it is the only one I have in my possession.

Thanks for your answer.
  • shahdinshahdin Posts: 2,180- Senior Member
    any calculator (with out a keyboard) is allowed, proctors really dont check, 2 or 3 people were using a ti-89 in the room I took the exam this may.

However, you really dont need it on the exam. It would best just to use a ti-83 + etc, just use any calculator you're comfortable with.
  • jefgreenjefgreen Posts: 452Registered User Member
    Yes, the TI-89 Titanium is allowed on the SAT. The ACT, however, does not allow it.

Hope this helps you out.
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Posts: 12,494Registered User Senior Member
    ^ You are correct; benhpark is mistaken.
  • benhparkbenhpark Posts: 745- Member
    oh, it was? thank you, jefgreen. whew... i thought my TI-89 was of no use.
    i stand corrected. :)
    No problem :). Just as an aside, all you really need is a simple scientific calculator. Albeit, a graphing calculator does save a bit of time if you want to use it for graphing and all of that nonsense.
  • pckellerpckeller Posts: 756Registered User Member
    Also, for students who are not completely fluent at solving algebraic equations, the solve function is very helpful. It is the one thing that sets the ti89 apart.
  • tb0mb93tb0mb93 Posts: 1,320Registered User Senior Member
    What exactly is the solve function? Because doesnt the 83, 84, etc. have that thing where you go to catalog and then solve(
  • HalogenHalogen Posts: 1,199Registered User Senior Member
    I used the TI-89 Titanium on the PSAT and SAT and I saw several other students also using it.
    What is the solve function?
  • junhugiejunhugie Posts: 350Registered User Member
    You can put in an expression, like solve(2x+3=5,x) and it spits out the x value. Here, it would say x = 1. You can also put in multiple values, like x, y, etc, and it gives you there value related to each other. It's a very nice feature.