Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Essay - Common Themes

JebarPolskyJebarPolsky Posts: 766Registered User Member
edited May 2010 in SAT Preparation
What are some of the common themes or ideas you have found in essays? So far I have:
  • Individuality
  • Values and Morals
  • Authority
  • Choices
  • Relationship between Past and Future
  • Creativity
Post edited by JebarPolsky on

Replies to: Essay - Common Themes

• JebarPolskyJebarPolsky Posts: 766Registered User Member
    Also, I think I may have found an example that could work for the themes of Individuality, Authority and Morals. Here are some facts I could manipulate and mention in my answer:

- Name: C. Auguste Dupin
    - Protagonist of three short stories by Edgar Allan Poe, American novelist
    - Detective
    - relies on intuition to solve crimes as opposed to hard evidence (needed to indict or absolve criminals nowadays)
    - In "The Purloined Letter" (1844), he knows the police will look in the wrong place for an incriminating letter and thus distracts the criminal while replacing the letter with a fake, after he discerns its location, and leaving
    - Shows how he disregards authority figures to solve a crime which the police weren't able to solve
    - First "detective", formed the way for Sherlock holmes and the likes
    - Utilizes a different method to solve crimes showing individuality
    - Disregards morals by misleading the suspected criminal based on a hunch and stealing the letter, furthermore, he waits for the reward to be doubled before he hands over the letter, despite having retrieved it a while back

Critiques? Is this a good example? Does it relates to only the themes of individuality, authority and morality or are there others?

I may also add the quote for good effect if the topic is individuality or such: "Good men must not obey the laws too well" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Really need this, need to ace the June SAT essay.
    Another example for Individualism that I found was:

- John Brown
    - Abolitionist
    - Led 21 men in an attack on Harpers Ferry, Virgina on October 16, 1859
    - goal was to begin an uprising of slaves and end slavery
    - Radical because it was at a time when most white men were either supporting or indifferent to slavery
    - Financed anti-slavery activities
    - Raised a black youth with his wife
    Anyone care to comment on the quality of my examples?
  • Nick567Nick567 Posts: 51Registered User Junior Member
    I think you are mixing up intuition with deduction. Dupin, famous from the story you mentioned and the Murders in the Rue Morgue, relies on deductive reasoning in order to solve seemingly unsolvable crimes with ease.
    But didn't he have an intuition regarding the location of the letter. When he saw the letter on the table, even though it looked different from the way the inspector described, he thought that it was the letter he was looking for so he replaced that letter without being 100% certain if it was correct.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Also, is this a good example for the essay, supposing I give all the detail listed above?