Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

math level 1 vs math level 2?

handiman115handiman115 Posts: 133Registered User Junior Member
hey guys...I haven't been able to find the answer to this question anywhere...

If i hypothetically received identical grades on the math level 1 and math level 2 subject tests...would colleges prefer to see one or the other?

I'm just wondering because for me, Math level 1 is easier....and I'm trying to figure out if they would like to see math level 2 because that means you are proficient at a higher level of math?
Post edited by handiman115 on

Replies to: math level 1 vs math level 2?

• silverturtlesilverturtle Posts: 12,496Registered User Senior Member
    If you have the appropriate background for Math Level 2, you should take that test: Math Level 1 has a far less forgiving curve and is generally viewed less favorably by colleges. Plus, some programs (usually engineering-based ones) and colleges (e.g., Caltech) require Math Level 2.
  • kellybkkkellybkk Posts: 384- Member
    MIT takes either, so what does that tell you?
  • handiman115handiman115 Posts: 133Registered User Junior Member
    kelly...that is a great point!
    silverturtle..thanks for your insight....but would you mind telling me what information you have to support the claim that math 1 is viewed as less favorable?
  • pascal12pascal12 Posts: 165Registered User Junior Member
    Math 2 generally covers slightly more in-depth material, so colleges would much prefer to see the Math 2 score. The fact that colleges take either means little.
  • OregonSeniorOregonSenior Posts: 273Registered User Junior Member
    Math 2 - SAT Subject Test Math Level 2 Practice Questions
    Plotting your next steps toward college? The Mathematics Level 2 Subject Test covers the same material as the Mathematics Level 1 test — with the addition of trigonometry and elementary functions (precalculus). If you performed well in these courses, taking this test gives you the opportunity to highlight your ability and showcase your achievement.
    Choosing Between Math Levels 1 and 2
    If you have taken trigonometry or elementary functions (precalculus) or both, received grades of B or better in these courses, and are comfortable knowing when and how to use a scientific or graphing calculator, you should select the Level 2 test. If you are sufficiently prepared to take Level 2, but elect to take Level 1 in hopes of receiving a higher score, you may not do as well as you expect. You may want to consider taking the test that covers the topics you learned most recently, since the material will be fresh in your mind. You should also consider the requirements of the colleges and programs you are interested in.

This is directly from the collegeboard website.