Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

SAT Biology

twhpfan5twhpfan5 Posts: 59Registered User Junior Member
I will be taking the SAT Bio test next week. My question is how detailed is the SAT Bio test? The prep book i have is the Princeton Review one and has very little details. Cliffs contains sooo much more info.

For example, all they said for DNA Rep. is that parent DNA unwinds, DNA Pol. adds complimentary nucleotides, and two new DNA molecules are produced. There was no mention of primers, lagging/leading strands, or other enzymes.

So should i just stick with the PR prep book? Will it be enough?
Post edited by twhpfan5 on

Replies to: SAT Biology

• sinthrecksinthreck Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
    You don't mention what score you are chasing.

Cliffs AP notes goes into too much detail. You won't need that detail in the SAT II Biology. For example lagging & leading strand, the different types of DNA polymerase, topoisomerase, etc.

The PR SAT book explains things well but doesn't cover enough of the syllabus For example, the section on plants is very short.

I would study only SAT II books: e.g. Barron, Kaplan, PR
  • twhpfan5twhpfan5 Posts: 59Registered User Junior Member
    thanks for the input.....i am wanting a very good score 750+
    Yeah, the PR book does not cover too much info. on plants so i guess i might just use kaplan for that section. However, the body systems part is very good in the PR book.

how much detail do i need to know for the kingdoms and phylums? and is evolution covered heavily?
  • eensponseenspons Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    Are you taking bio E or bio M? The percentages for subject matter for both are on collegeboard.
    If you're taking bio M, there wasn't too much on taxonomy or evolution in May this year. It was just some basic concepts like genetic drift for evolution, and the basic differences between the kingdoms in a five or six kingdom system.
    In addition, for bio M, I would study plants and photosynthesis a lot. They killed both of those topics in May.
    For bio E, I have no idea.
    thanks eenspons....i plan to take Bio-M. yeah, i have heard that plants are heavily covered. unfortunately for me, i hate studying plants since i think they are quite boring although photosynthesis is not bad.
    all the practice tests i have seen so far, really ask a ton of questions on organ systems so right now i'm focusing on those.
    Any other tips for me?
  • sinthrecksinthreck Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
    Have you purchased the CB official study guide?

It includes 1 test on Biology II which makes it worth buying just for that.
    no, i have not. Does it contain an actual test from previous years?
    i have taken practice tests out of prep books. Are they good indicators for what you might actually score?
  • supergrover911supergrover911 Posts: 370Registered User Member
    I only used PR (the 2007-2008 edition) and got a 780 in May. I'm in AP Bio, but I hadn't studied for the exam prior to taking the SAT. 3 questions from the PR exams were word for word on the May SAT, and there were many PR questions that were reworded on the SAT (if that makes any sense). I don't think PR is really lacking that much information (it's body systems chapter - it was soo long - was really good). If you're that concerned, go through cliffs (pm me) or barron's for the plant and ecology/animal behavior chapters. :)

eta: I got a 680 (E)/ 710 (M) and 680 (E)/ 670 (M) on the PR practice tests
  • cookiemonster94cookiemonster94 Posts: 85Registered User Junior Member
    I got a 760 on Bio M and I used Barrons. I'm also in AP bio and i was expecting higher.

But Barrons is really good. It has just the right amount of detail and the practice tests are hard so you want to study till you really nail it down.
    I received around 560 E/680 M on Barrons the first time which just blew my mind. But ask anyone and they'll tell you that their practice tests are hard.

If you take Bio M, Barrons is perfect for the specific cell organelle and etc questions.
    Idk about Bio E, didnt really get a chance to look at it :P

Hope that helps :)
    thanks guys....I think ill just stick with PR. I'm running out of my time anyway.
    I did study ecology and animal behavior from Cliff's so i should be good as far as those go.
    I think my weakness is plants and unfortunately for me, there are always so many questions about them.
    I did take two practice tests just to see where i was before starting to prepare. I got about a 650 on both, but i really didn't know anything on plants, kingdoms, or organ systems at that point.
    Hopefully, i can get 750+ on the actual test after some good studying.
  • blaireblaire Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    I am in AP Biology and I got an 800 on the SAT II M biology exam. I personally liked the Barron's review book best. I didn't really focus too much on the SAT review books and instead studied for both the AP and SAT exams from the AP Review books.
    wow! that's very impressive!
    i am freaking out a bit since i only have about four days and haven't studied organ systems much or plants.

What kind of advice would you give as far as what as what sections i should focus on? Should i just get the big picture or all the details?
    Also, anyone have any test taking tips like when should one guess?
  • supergrover911supergrover911 Posts: 370Registered User Member
    make sure you go over organ/body systems - they're veryyy important
  • dinosoardinosoar Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
    I currently only have the Princeton Review 05-06 edition, anyone know if that's too outdated (were there any syllabus changes since then)? I'm taking the Bio M SAT2 this Saturday and aiming for 800. Heh I haven't actually started studying properly (yea im screwwwed), got a 7 for IB Bio HL last year though so hopefully I'll manage to revise everything and do like 4 practices before Saturday :/

Which is the best book (detailed, difficult, accurate) for plants, ecology/animal behaviour, evolution, taxonomy? Those are my weaker areas and I have no idea what level of detail to expect from SAT Bio M so any input would be greatly appreciated!
  • NewHavenCTmomNewHavenCTmom Posts: 1,823Registered User Senior Member
    Is it unwise to take the AP BIO and SAT BIO with just an honors BIO under one's belt?

Or is it more prudent to take these tests AFTER an AP BIO class?

My d14 will be taking Honors Bio in the fall and she is considering taking both tests in June 2012... any advice?
  • SeekingUniSeekingUni Posts: 2,188Registered User Senior Member
    Is it unwise to take the AP BIO and SAT BIO with just an honors BIO under one's belt?
    Taking the AP Bio exam without having prepared for it beyond an honors class, yes, that's unwise. SAT Bio, maybe not so much.