Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

A mnemonic to memorize the reactivity series

ntek511ntek511 Posts: 385Registered User Member
Our teacher gave this to us to memorize the reactivity series, essential to know the outcomes of many chemical reactions and also useful in electrolysis.

Here it goes:

"Please Charles Send Monkeys And Zebras In Lead Hard Cage with Maximum Security Guard."

See the first letter of each word in the sentence. Now here is the actual series, starting from the most active.

1. Potassium - K
2. Calcium - Ca
3. Sodium - Na
4. Magnesium - Mg
5. Aluminium - Al
6. Zinc - Zn
7. Iron - Fe
8. Lead - Pb
9. Hydrogen - H
10. Copper - Cu
11. Mercury - Hg
12. Silver - Ag
13. Gold - Au

NOTE: This series does not include all elements. But it helps to remember the position of the most common elements used in reactions.
Hope it helps!
Post edited by ntek511 on

Replies to: A mnemonic to memorize the reactivity series

• NadashNadash Posts: 612Registered User Member
    When I was told to memorise this....2 years ago, I just rapped the letters, I organised them into threes and a four and went from there. I had a lot of weird **** to memorise lists though. I used my room-mate's name and added a few vulgarities. ^^
  • ntek511ntek511 Posts: 385Registered User Member
    I used my room-mate's name and added a few vulgarities.

Really funny...hehe..i do that too sometimes.........

But honestly, this method works so fine...we learn things so easily that way!
  • NadashNadash Posts: 612Registered User Member
    Yeah, now I need something to help me remember definitions. Hahaha
  • ntek511ntek511 Posts: 385Registered User Member
    unfortunately, this trick doesn't work that gud for definitions.....

but the best way would be to, understand the thing clearly (i mean 100%) and then mug it up. Coz its easier to mug up when u have understood the thing.

This may sound stupid, but if you really try it out, it works pretty fine!
  • seren000seren000 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    That's a good mnemonic, but you've got calcium and sodium the wrong way round
  • hamham Posts: 577Registered User Member
    what is the reactivity series exactly? How reactive each element is? If so, is this really necessary to know for SAT chem?
  • anhtimmyanhtimmy Posts: 3,256Registered User Senior Member
    Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally :O lol
  • Shubham92Shubham92 Posts: 362Registered User Member
    King Philip Came Over For Good Spaghetti
  • epowerxepowerx Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    We used a funny one. We basically pronounced letters as they were! As so it goes:

Kanalicamagal zinfenisan-pub-sur hacu hag agpad patau

Or, in easier terms: K Na Li Ca Mg Al Zn Fe Ni Sn Pb Sr [H] Cu Hg Ag Pd Pt Au.

Although I have seen conflicting views on the placement of Au behind Pt. Some say it's the other way around. Even so, I like this mnemonic; it's so weird that it's easier to remember!