Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

why is Math II so hard for me?

alwysgraceful03alwysgraceful03 Posts: 372Registered User Member
I've finished the Calc BC course and got A+s in every math class i've taken. Math usually comes very easy to me and I've competed in math competitions. I took a lot of Barron's SAT Math II Practice tests and I barely manage to get a 700. I need to get very close to 800 to be competitive at colleges i'm looking to go to. I can't seem to finish all the questions on time and can only finish about 38 out of 50 each time. how can i improve and is the actual test hard?
Post edited by alwysgraceful03 on

Replies to: why is Math II so hard for me?

• ollegerolleger Posts: 1,567Registered User Senior Member
    review the concepts you might have forgotten? lol I really dont know because in this case you should be getting 750+ easily. On the actual test I probably missed like 5-6 which is the max to miss for an 800 so I lucked out. It wasnt too bad, just some stupid mistakes/not thinking about hte question long enough.
  • BigIsBigIs Posts: 1,045Registered User Senior Member
    Sounds like you are over analyzing each question. Most of the review books discuss test-taking strategies, such as skipping those that you don't immediately get the answer to. Many students recognize the correct answer right away, but then start coming up with reasons why some of the other options "might" be correct also -- a big time-waster. If you find you're going back and changing answers, try doing a sample test without revisiting a question after you've answered it, or looking for "tricks" that may make another answer "correct" after you've selected an answer.
  • milkweedmilkweed Posts: 496Registered User Member
    alwysgraceful03, Barrons MATH II is much harder than the actual test. My son sounds like you. Very good in math. When he tried the Barron's tests, he could never finish them and 37 out of 50 was one of his best scores. He gave up on Barron's tests and used Kaplan and the college board book. After a little practice and review, he consistently got 780-800s on these tests and he got an 800 on the real test on his first try. I wouldn't worry too much about your scores on the Barron's Math II tests.
  • KGB1337KGB1337 Posts: 148Registered User Junior Member
    ^ agreed
    Trust me, from huge amounts of experience with it, Barrons is much harder than the real thing. If you can manage to score in its 680-700 range, you're almost guaranteed to get an 800 on the real thing. You have nothing to worry about =)
  • ollegerolleger Posts: 1,567Registered User Senior Member
    OHHHH you are using barons??? yeah if you are scoring in the 700s you will have a good shot for an 800
  • FutureENTSurgeonFutureENTSurgeon Posts: 1,073Registered User Senior Member
    maybe its your math teachers. Seriously i am at a really low tier school and i have a 3.8 gpa and i got a 660 on math 2 but my friend who is at the best school in the county has a 3.5 gpa and got a 750. He tells me his teachers were phenomenal