Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Pre Dental major?

RinnyRinny Posts: 58Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2011 in Science Majors
I'm interested in pursuing dental school, but what would be a good major to fall back on? I was considering majoring in Chemistry, but I hear the job prospects are poor. Would going on to education to teacher high school chemistry be a better idea? My other interests would be agriculture and foreign languages.
Post edited by Rinny on

Replies to: Pre Dental major?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 36,731Registered User Senior Member
    If you like chemistry, consider chemical engineering, which has significantly better job and career prospects than chemistry.
  • RinnyRinny Posts: 58Registered User Junior Member
    I've thought about chemical engineering before, but I heard that it's really more physics than actual chemistry (I'm really hating physics right now since I jumped to AP and have an awful teacher) is this true?
  • Rebelme801Rebelme801 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    I would advise you do a Biology major. This is what I did to get into dental school as well as most of my classmates. This will come in handy your first year so that you aren't overwhelmed w/ new material. Good luck!
    Biology's job and career prospects are not very good either, if one does not get into dental or other professional school. (It is a common major among pre-medical students, most of whom do not get into medical school and end up competing for low paying lab technician jobs after graduation.)
  • Rebelme801Rebelme801 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    Most dental students will agree with me when I say: DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO FALL BACK ON. If this is truly how you feel than it doesn't show enough motivation/initiative in getting into dental school. Most dental students try many years to get into dental school, 2, 3, 4 or even 5 years.
    Would those who did not go to dental school (did not get in, too expensive, etc.) agree with "DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO FALL BACK ON"?
  • iTransferiTransfer Posts: 857Registered User Member
    You have to remember that if you don't get into med/dental school, there are alternative health professions. There is pharmacy/optometry/podiatry/nursing/DO instead of MD etc. Even if you have sub-par stats, you can find something that will take you.