Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Not sure what to major in...

ccmetz2020ccmetz2020 Posts: 9Registered User New Member
edited September 2009 in Science Majors
At first, I was really interested in biology and I wanted to be a doctor and to help people. Now, I'm finding a new interest in space and all of the interesting theories of gravity and physics. I know for sure that I want to go to the University of Iowa, but I don't know what I want to major in. I think I'm leaning toward Astronomy or Physics. But, I want to make a decent salary and do research in astrophysics, etc. I don't know how the job market is for astronomy majors/space in general. Does anyone have any advice they could give me? Thanks.
Post edited by ccmetz2020 on

Replies to: Not sure what to major in...

• mregomrego Posts: 1,038Registered User Senior Member
    Become an exobiologist and discover life on Mars.
  • zapfinozapfino Posts: 2,514Registered User Senior Member
    See this link at the American Astronomical Society:
    A New Universe to Explore: Careers in Astronomy Brochure | American Astronomical Society

You would generally need a doctoral degree for research positions.

With only an undergrad degree, your most common job opportunities would be in high school teaching (physics and/or math). You might find some positions in planetariums, science museums, or science journalism, if you have the right background, though these are fewer in number. Math and computer science coursework beyond the base requirements for an astronomy/physics major will strengthen your qualifications and might open up additional options.

Of course, you could always go into other graduate/professional fields, too (law, science & technology policy, etc).