Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Neuroscience Major- What Can You Do With It

oomboo2oomboo2 Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2010 in Science Majors
So I really love brains. I read a lot about neurology and I've developed a huge interest in it. I am hoping to pursue a neuroscience major and eventually go to med school to become a neurologist.

My questions:
1. In the event that I don't get into med school, what can one do with an undergraduate degree in neuroscience? Are there jobs? Would I need to at least try to get a masters?

2. Seeing as many colleges actually offer a "neuroscience" major, is there an abundance of people hoping to become neurologists. Do a disproportionately large percentage of med school hopefuls want to be neurologists?
Post edited by oomboo2 on

Replies to: Neuroscience Major- What Can You Do With It

• zapfinozapfino Posts: 2,512Registered User Senior Member
    1. No, there are not a lot of jobs specifically for a bachelor's-level neuroscience major. It's a liberal arts major so job opportunities are not a whole lot different from many other liberal arts majors. Possibly some opportunities in pharma sales, lab tech, etc. at the bachelor's-level. You would need a graduate degree, typically a doctorate, to do work specifically in neuroscience-related field.
    2. Neuroscience is a hot major, particularly among pre-meds. Although it might be a good prep for someone who wants to become a neurologist, I don't know why some people have the idea that it's necessarily some sort of a "pre-neurology" major because it's not. (It's probably not a good idea anyway for people to be picking a particular medical specialty until they've been exposed to them in the med school clinical rotations.)

If you plan to get a graduate degree, neuroscience is an appropriate preparation for a number of fields (especially if one has the usual pre-med courses, too): psychology (neuroscience research, clinical neuropsychology, health psychology, rehabilitation psychology, general clinical psychology, general experimental psychology); medicine; biosciences (neuroscience research, neuro- & psycho-pharmacology), physical therapy (possible at master's level), speech pathology & audiology (possible at master's level), nursing (possible at master's level), special ed (brain injury---possible at master's level), brain injury rehab (applied behavior analysis---possible at master's level), gerontology. (For some of these fields, you can get admitted to graduate studies, but might have some undergrad pre-requisites to make up.)
  • babynigelbabynigel Posts: 18Registered User New Member
    You could become a professor and teach neurology too.
  • oomboo2oomboo2 Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
    Would it be wiser to pursue a degree in biomedical engineering? It is also an interest of mine, and I know that there are more jobs available for biomed engineers in the event that I do not get into med school.

Also, does it make a difference if it's a BS in neuroscience vs. a BA. SOme of the schools that I've looked into have both a biology-oriented version and a psychology-oriented version. The BS degree seems a little more challenging and useful.
  • PhoenixRPhoenixR Posts: 634Registered User Member
    ^^ Yes you can. BS will require you to take up a lot of maths classes which would be challenging. And you will have jobs available after graduation, but I'm not sure if recruiter would want a biomed engg graduate to an Electrical Engg. There are quite fewer biological oriented companies around.
    Another thing you can do is to take up some electrical engg classes along with the biomed classes so that you seem lucrative to your employer. Although this varies greatly.
  • premed4premed4 Posts: 944Registered User Member
    how much competition is their in this major? Also science is is a liberal arts major and not a science major would there be more of a curve?
  • LastThreeYearsLastThreeYears Posts: 480Registered User Member
    Neuroscience is like art history in terms of jobs and BME isn't much better at the undergrad level. If you want a real career, chemistry or electrical engineering.
  • premed4premed4 Posts: 944Registered User Member
    how hard is neuroscience in term of getting into med school? easier or harder than biology?
  • Lemaitre1Lemaitre1 Posts: 1,736Registered User Senior Member
    It does not matter what you major in, besides good grades in the Biology, Chemistry and Physics prerequisite courses all medical schools require, you need to a very high GPA in whatever you major in and good MCAT scores to have the best chance of admission to medical school.