Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

AP physics B, C

sarcasmrulessarcasmrules Posts: 234Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2011 in Sciences
Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to take both AP physics B+C in the same year. I really want to learn the fundamentals in B, but also very interested in the C: Mechanics part. Is this strongly discouraged? I will also be taking Ap calc bc.
Post edited by sarcasmrules on

Replies to: AP physics B, C

• CompSciGeekCompSciGeek Posts: 281Registered User Junior Member
    Well there's a few things. Make sure you are good at math. If you've done well in Trig/Algebra 2/PreCalc you're good for Physics B. Then, if you want to do Physics C, know calculus.

Plus, most people take Physics C as a 2nd year course... so it's not STRONGLy discouraged, but discouraged all the same since you depend on Physics B for some stuff.
  • sarcasmrulessarcasmrules Posts: 234Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks. I gonna talk with GC and read about the classes more
  • knowthestuffknowthestuff Posts: 109Registered User Junior Member
    If you take AP Physics B and C simultaneously, you will find that some of the content overlaps. The C course concentrates on Mechanics and then E&M. The B course covers a wider range of topics but does not require calculus.

Remember, that most colleges will offer you credit for only the B or the C exam but not both.
  • upsidedown951upsidedown951 Posts: 158Registered User Junior Member
    This is what Im doing. Our school has a math science pathway, and this year we're taking AP Physics B first semester and AP Physics C second semester.