Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

About 2011 AP Bio Free Response Q

jennyelenajennyelena Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
One of the questions on the 2011 AP test FRQ was related to listing and explaining different ways of analyzing phylogenetic relationships.

One of the answers I wrote during my mock prep was "comparative anatomy."
According to the question, I had to write one weakness or strength of the analytic method.
As the strength of comparative anatomy, I wrote that bone structures are slow to change, thereby reflecting all the historic evolutionary relationships bewteen organisms. To augment my argument, I further wrote that structures like vestigial structures exist in the anatomy of organisms due to this slow evolutionary response although these structures have lost their functions; yet, because of these still-existent structures, scientists are able to establish evolutionary relationships between different organisms.

The sample response and scoring guidelines posted by college board AP central website did not include this strength.

Can someone who's competent enough to be an AP reader/scorer tell me if this is enough of a strength or if this is either fallacious or too vague?

I would appreciate it :D !