Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

SMU Scholarships

dfwstudentdfwstudent Posts: 6Registered User New Member
I love SMU, I am from North Dallas and and grew up around SMU and the campus. I really want to attend after high school, but financial issues are difficult (50k+ a year). My family would be considered high income, however we are not excessively rich and with my sister at a University currently, 50k is not easy. With a high income, I am not likely to receive need based aid, but I am hoping my academic achievements can earn me enough merit based scholarships to attend. Also, outside of the Presidents and Hunt Scholarships, I am very confused about what scholarships SMU has.

Stats:
PSAT-2100
Pre-Act-33
Unweighted GPA- 3.7
EC's- Tons; National Honor Society, Young Men's Service League (VP), loads of volunteer hours, work for special needs program at my church, Lacrosse team, Debate team.

Any insight as to which scholarships I should apply for, or any money I could possibly receive, would be appreciated greatly. Thanks in advanced!
Post edited by dfwstudent on

Replies to: SMU Scholarships

• sunshine341sunshine341 Posts: 115Registered User Junior Member
    SMU automatically grants you merit based scholarships, and you don't need a separate application for those or anything. I got $20,000 from SMU and $5,000 from Cox (their business school) for their BBA scholars program, and my stats are pretty similar to yours, so no need to worry.
  • dallaskiddallaskid Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
    Like sunshine said you dont have to fill out a separate app. SMU was very generous to me and I got $60,000 off with a founder's scholar. And another $20,000 from their BBA scholars program. My stats were similar to yours - Little bit lower test score, little bit higher GPA. Good Luck!
  • ekviolaekviola Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    My test scores are almost identical to yours and I was offered $20,000/year without having to fill out any extra scholarship application forms. I was also invited to interview for the Presidential Scholarship, which is a full ride.
  • Bandmom123Bandmom123 Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
    ekvoila: You said that you were invited to interview for the Presidential Scholarship. Was that for this year or are you a current student? If it was this year, would you mind telling us how the invite came, email, call, snail mail??? And when it came. Thanks!
  • wlammiiiwlammiii Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    My D received her invite as a President's Scholar nominee in a letter just before Christmas. Just made our reservations!! Super excited.
    Bandmom123, the invite was for this year. I will be a freshman in college in the fall. The invite came by snail mail a few days after Christmas, like wlammiii mentioned.
  • Bandmom123Bandmom123 Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
    Ekviola: Congratulations! That's exciting for you. I was just wondering if that means that's it for early action kids for the Presidential scholarship.
    Has anyone heard yet about the Hunt Scholarship yet?
  • PerunaLovePerunaLove Posts: 72Registered User Junior Member
    Applicants will be notified whether or not they have been selected to interview for the Hunt scholarship by the last week of February. Good luck!
  • cheerupcheerup Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    Congrats ekviola and wlammiii on your invites to interview for the President's scholarship.
    Will you be so kind as to post stats please ?
    SAT, ACT, GPA, National Merit Finalist or commended or neither, etc
    Thanks
    GPA- ~3.9 unweighted
    ACT- 33
    Rank- 16/483
    AP Scholar with Distinction
    not a NMF/SF
  • elmofrenchelmofrench Posts: 22Registered User New Member
    Hi there, I am going to probably apply EA to SMU and I am aiming to be a President Scholar. I know it is very difficult to become one so I want some advice.

ACT: 31 (35 eng) (28 math) (28 sci) (34 read)
    ECs: Bunches: NHS VP, Key Club, Art Club, STUCO, Spanish Club, FCCLA, BPA, and a lot of community service to sum it up really quick. (These are several activities i have participated in over the past 4 years)
    I am going to take SAT subjects next month and am currently waiting on SAT results

I do realize only about 50-60 people out of the several thousand admitted are awarded this scholarship but do you think i have a chance? I am bilingual, have a disability, and have won state, national, and international art competitions. I am just worried that my ACT won't be high enough (i was aiming for a 34 but dont have time to take another one before applying). If i had a higher ACT would that make the difference? I live in a rural Oklahoma town and go to the local high school. Any input would be great! ty
  • brawny77brawny77 Posts: 58Registered User Junior Member
    Elmofrench
    Your score of 31 converts to about a 1380 SAT. The median score of those who get interviewed for the Presidential scholarships is 1500. Still they look at other things as well like class rank. I would stress your national and international acievements in the application. That is something that will separate you from many candidates. Good luck!
  • elmofrenchelmofrench Posts: 22Registered User New Member
    Brawny77

I think I am going to try to get a 33. However, that means I would have to go with Regular Decision. I talked to one of the admissions counselors who said that scholarship money starts going fast after RD but I know that even if I got 75% of my tuition paid I still could not afford to attend there. Do you think I will hurt my chances if I apply RD to get my score up and aim to be a PS?
  • EbowyangEbowyang Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member
    Does anybody know if there's any international student who's awarded merit-based scholarships? (eg. the Presidential Scholarship)

I'm an international student here at Bishop Lynch High School, with SMU being one of my match schools, but sadly I was told by their financial aid office that SMU doesn't give need-based (also institutional) aid to international students. I would need at lease 20K per year in order to attend, so I assume that's all going to be from merit-based scholarships.

Thanks for any insight or name-referencing...
  • tristatecoogtristatecoog Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    From what I know, the Presidential Scholarship has a heavy focus on leadership.