Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Stanford accommodation for non-Stanford student

radicalityradicality Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited February 2012 in Stanford University
Hi,

I'm currently a computer science student, but not in Stanford. In April, I'll be coming over to Palo Alto for 6 months to work as a software developer in a tech startup, but then I'm going back to university to finish my degree.

I was wondering if maybe it's possible to somehow live in Stanford halls of residence, even if I'm not a student at Stanford. It's just that I'm still a student, and have never lived in the US, and thought that if I get to live in Stanford halls, I would make friends more easily, meet more people, and have a fun time. I guess I could take some Stanford classes, but not too much since I'll be having a full-time job, maybe some evening classes ? Would that qualify me for halls ? You think it's a good idea ?

If not, any other ideas where I could live in, in Palo Alto, for 6 months ? Should I just rent an apartment maybe, off craigslist ?
Post edited by radicality on

Replies to: Stanford accommodation for non-Stanford student

• siliconvalleymomsiliconvalleymom Posts: 3,670Registered User Senior Member
    Stanford housing is for Stanford students.
    You will probably have a fun time hanging out with the other people you are working with.
    You will find plenty of off-campus options near Stanford. On Sand Hill Road, many people find the Oak Creek furnished apartments a good option.
  • 2boysima2boysima Posts: 1,792Registered User Senior Member
    Based on info. on the following page, you need to be somehow affiliated with Stanford or a program taking place at Stanford to use any student housing. There are some suggestions of where to look for off campus housing:

Summer Stanford Matriculated Graduate Students | Student Housing
  • spoon!spoon! Posts: 208Registered User Junior Member
    Even if you could unofficially sublet someone's Stanford housing, you wouldn't be able to use the Internet because it requires a Stanford account to log in. Nor will you be able to get a parking space.
  • phantasmagoricphantasmagoric Posts: 2,200Registered User Senior Member
    The best way for you to get housing is to sublet housing from a grad student. This is usually easy during the summer and more difficult during a given term, but there are plenty of grad students who are out during a given quarter. They're more stingy about subletting if you aren't a student, so beware. I can say there's very little chance you will get to live in one of the undergraduate halls on campus (if you aren't taking a class simultaneously, and that's exorbitantly expensive), but you'd have a good shot at the graduate housing since that doesn't depend on the housing office. The best place to check is SUpost Classifieds. Also you might find something on craigslist.
    you wouldn't be able to use the Internet because it requires a Stanford account to log in. Nor will you be able to get a parking space.

Not true - you can get both a temporary network pass as well as a temporary parking space...
  • phantasmagoricphantasmagoric Posts: 2,200Registered User Senior Member
    ^ I see at least half your posts just rail against Stanford (why bother when you supposedly didn't apply?); comments like that are just dumb, especially given that Abe Liu was at the school you applied SCEA to.