Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chances at Stanford

SeekingUniSeekingUni Posts: 2,188Registered User Senior Member
edited February 2012 in Stanford University
I applied RD for Fall 2012, and now that I've heard from many of my colleges, I'd like to know what you guys think my chances are:

Hispanic
Male
Florida

ACT: 35 Composite
Reading - 36, English - 35, Science - 34, Math - 33, Essay/Writing - 32 (Essay: 9)

GPA: Unweighted - 3.94, Weighted - 5.58 (5.86 mid-senior-year)
Class Rank: ~30/476 (top 7%)

AP Classes: Bio (5), World History (4), Psychology (5), US History (4), Calc AB (4), English Lang (5), Spanish (x), Enviro (x), Calc BC (x).... x = AP's I'm taking my senior year

EC's:
-FBLA (9, 10, 11, 12), VP of FBLA (11), Pres of FBLA (12)
-Spanish National Honor Society (10, 11, 12)
-National Honor Society (12)
-National Technical Honor Society (11, 12)
-Mu Alpha Theta (11, 12)
-Rho Kappa (11, 12)
-Florida Public Service Association (11, 12)
-Senior Council (12)

-Work 20-25+ hours/week at a drugstore

-I've built and currently maintain websites that generate income
-I've participated in two highly-selective week-long leadership camps this summer... one through the county's sheriff's office, which selects ONE student from each of the 26 high schools in the county. The other, Seminar for Tomorrow's Leaders (S4TL), selects about 160 students from various Rotary districts throughout west Florida. These equate to about 130 hours of intense leadership training, team building, and working on making oneself a better person.

Results so far:
U Alabama - Accepted, full tuition scholarship
University of Florida - Accepted, honors invite
Florida State U - Accepted, $9600
USF - Accepted, forgot how much $
University of Miami - Accepted, $24,000, Singer finalist, Stamps invite
Georgetown - Deferred EA
Vanderbilt - Accepted
Duke - ??
Stanford - ??

As you can tell from my list, Stanford is the farthest reach, but it's my #1 choice.
Post edited by SeekingUni on

Replies to: Chances at Stanford

• Blitz95Blitz95 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    Well you obviously have the grades and some great ECs, especially you working. The only thing I see that is lacking is sports.
  • Blitz95Blitz95 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    Also, I do not see any thing you are 'passionate' about. From my understanding that is a big in Stanford's admissions.
  • DungareedollDungareedoll Posts: 725Registered User Member
    He doesn't have sports but thats because he works. Colleges love it when kids work so the lack of sports is understandable and the working is commendable!!! Your stats look good. Only time will tell, Good Luck.....
  • ask994ask994 Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
    I would say you have decent chances. You have a lot of involvement and great test scores. Your class rank is pretty low for stanford, and like Blitz said, you don't really have themes developing through your ECs. Hopefully you clarified that in your essays. Good luck!
  • medicaljob1medicaljob1 Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    you will get into DUKE. i give you a 60% chance with stanford
  • SeekingUniSeekingUni Posts: 2,188Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks for the input so far. The one thing that I am passionate about and may show more on my app than on here is web design. Although I regret not using this activity to write about in the "write about one activity" short essay on the CommonApp, it's on my app in my EC's, I counted it as some of my work history (it generates income for me), it's on the resume I submitted, and my transcripts show that I've taken Web Design I, II, III, and IV all four years of HS. Also my intended major is computer science. I'm really hoping they'll catch onto that.

Anyways thanks!
  • SheepGetKilledSheepGetKilled Posts: 1,103Registered User Member
    I don't know about Duke, because it is harder to get into than georgetown, so maybe not.
  • CrystalJCrystalJ Posts: 503Registered User Member
    In my completely unqualified position, I think you'll get accepted.
    I'm pretty sure I got deferred from Georgetown because 1) I didn't take any SAT Subject Tests, which they "strongly recommend." 2) I didn't really elaborate on the things I do on my application, since it's not CommonApp. 3) Nor did I put effort into my essay. 4) My alumni interview was boring, and somewhat uncomfortable for both of us. Mediocre at best.

Yale was on my list of colleges, even added to my "My Colleges" on the CommonApp. I ultimately didn't apply because December rolled around and I still hadn't done the separate essay for the Yale supplement (meanwhile, I finished applying to all 9 of my schools in September and was very "over" the process). I guess this in itself (me not being willing enough to write a separate essay for Yale) is good enough reason for me to not be going there LOL.

Thanks for the feedback though. I have high hopes for Stanford, but am not expecting too much... There are plenty of applicants just like me, and even more better. I don't think being Hispanic is much of a hook for Stanford, being in California with plenty of Hispanics there.
  • Dubblebubble898Dubblebubble898 Posts: 104Registered User Junior Member
    Why didnt u take any sat subject tests? I dont see any here.
    Why didnt u take any sat subject tests? I dont see any here.
    Laziness is the only fair answer.
  • CrystalJCrystalJ Posts: 503Registered User Member
    You're awesome
  • JulieLove5678JulieLove5678 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    quick question: do you think being hispanic helps with getting into Stanford?
    Personally, no, being that it's in California with plenty of Hispanics to choose from (right?)... but I honestly have no idea.
  • texaspgtexaspg Posts: 13,821Super Moderator Senior Member
    Stanford gets thousands of applications with your type of profile or better. Race may certainly help you but honestly, I know hispanics who are national merit scholars, in top 2-3% of class, 2300+ SAT scores who are also in the pool at the moment.

So it will come down to your essays, LORs etc.