Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

I made an 'app' to show Stanford

frznpixelfrznpixel Posts: 94Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2013 in Stanford University
I'm pretty big into developing iPhone apps, it's something I really enjoy doing. So I thought I could possibly use those skills to make something neat to show Stanford to make myself stand out and show how much I would love to go there. B/c it takes time before Apple accepts/denies an app, I decided to just make a video and post it on my blog. Feel free to check it out.

I sent an email to Stanford admissions and I plan on showing it to the alumni who's interviewing me this Saturday(good/bad idea?). Is there anything else I can do to make sure it gets shown to the people reading my application, or is there nothing much that I can do?

Hello Stanford! : Alex Greene
Post edited by frznpixel on

Replies to: I made an 'app' to show Stanford

• unicameral2013unicameral2013 Posts: 830- Member
    Interesting. Would've been better with music in the background though.
  • frznpixelfrznpixel Posts: 94Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks, wasn't sure whether to put music or not, but I just added some in. Hopefully Stanford admissions likes YouTube's choice of R&B :)
  • WendeliWendeli Posts: 200Registered User Junior Member
    lol I do the same thing, but for the Android system. God now I'm kinda depressed OTL I wonder how many app making people Stanford gets every year, there's at least one other guy on CC that does this as well. I draw too, but much more in the traditional sense than graphic design or doodling. Similarities stop there though, but yeah what you probably care about more is my point of view on the app. I think it's definitely cool :D I don't have video making skills so I'm impressed. I think it'd be a nice thing to add for your interview. Best of luck during it!

To be honest I doubt Stanford admissions is going to see it. They're pretty specific about no supplements and who can blame them :/ They're getting close to 40K apps a year. If your interviewer can mention it though, that should work.
    Well I'll try my hardest to make sure they see it. Is the app you made published to the google play store? And who else has done this? I didn't know there were so many app developers in this forum!
    It got published! I'm hoping for the best, and very excited!

Which iPhone app may get you into Stanford? The one you make — Tech News and Analysis
  • zenkoanzenkoan Posts: 1,118Registered User Senior Member
    frznpixel, all the best, but I gotta say that if you are admitted to Stanford, it won't be because of that app. Tons of applicants have developed and sold apps before they come here, including apps with lots of interesting/important functionalities, so an app that is basically a very simple self-promotion thing isn't going to make you stand out a whole lot. It is entertaining, though, and I hope you get good news when decisions come out. I am just trying to point this out for the sake of future applicants. Cheers.
    @zenkoan - thanks, I'm hoping for the best as well. However, I beg to differ in terms if how it could possibly affect my application. I certainly don't want to sound like I should be deemed the most amazing teen app developer (like the ones CBS likes to feature every now and the), but I would hope that my project sets my application apart from others.

And if you are judging because there are people who make cooler apps, I think that's a bit unfair to say. There's always someone better at anything you do, but that doesn't mean everyone below them shouldn't be recognized. I simply wanted to show Stanford more about me and why I would love to go there. My best way to communicate this is through an app.

I do agree that it wouldn't be a good idea for future applicants to make apps for the sale of making apps, but if that's their passion, then there's no need for discouragement. But, hey, as far as I know, I'm the first one. I think that's worth something, and I feel doing what I did was a better choice than not doing it. Either way, I had fun, so it wasn't time wasted.
  • zenkoanzenkoan Posts: 1,118Registered User Senior Member
    I'm just trying to keep things real around here, frzn. I totally agree that if you enjoyed making the app it's not time wasted. It's just that, as I said, if you are admitted, it will almost definitely be due to other aspects of your application--and that would be true even if you showed them a different kind of app (assuming it even gets seen by admissions, which is doubtful, unfortunately).This kind of thing is in no way unusual around here, which is the point I was trying to make. I don't mean to be discouraging, just realistic, and I hope you get a positive admissions result based on all of your qualifications.
  • etg2013etg2013 Posts: 235Registered User Junior Member
    ^and everyone says, amen!
    amen to what? :)
  • magentaturtlemagentaturtle Posts: 1,139Registered User Senior Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if you got in now. I'm sure it won't only be because of this app, but I think this is pretty damn smart.
    Thanks for the kind words! I had my interview today and I think it went pretty well. I showed my interviewer the app and she was smiling while looking through it, so I guess that's a good thing! I asked her if she could jot down the link on her report, and she said that'd fine. I've done as much as I can, so now I wait :)
  • justintttjustinttt Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    Interesting... That's exactly what I did too.

Let's just hope that the admission will actually see it.
    Mind sharing @justinttt - I'd love to take a look!
  • emprexemprex Posts: 721Registered User Member
    That's awesome. I took a mobile device programming class once and to date it is one of the best classes I've ever taken. :) Your interface is so clean...