Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Thank you/ Gift Etiquette for my recommenders

mv1mv1 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited December 2007 in Stanford University
Irrespective of SCEA decision for me at stanford ( I hope it would be postive!) I would like to thank my teachers who proivided recommendations for me..

In this regard, I need advise on what is the most appropriate way to thank them and also wish them happy holidays..I know that these teachers have put in substantial efforts to help me and several others at school and I don't mind spending money to get them a good gift... But at the same time donot want to offend them..

I am keen to send these before I hear the results from Stanford.

would appreciate inputs

Sincerely - MV1
Post edited by mv1 on

Replies to: Thank you/ Gift Etiquette for my recommenders

• brsbrs Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
    I'm giving my teachers gift cards to their favorite stores. For example: one of my teacher's loves video games so I'm getting a gift card from Best Buy
  • mv1mv1 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    Thank you and what is the appropriate amount?
  • cattvcattv Posts: 120Registered User Junior Member
    Home baked cookies. A variety
  • AileyAiley Posts: 698Registered User Member
    I strongly advise against $ equivalents like gift cards, they are REALLY inappropriate as a gift to a teacher from an individual student as opposed to a class gift or a PTA gift ... home baked (by you) cookies are good.
  • Eravial08Eravial08 Posts: 464Registered User Member
    Both of my recommending teachers are very health-conscious, and while they would certainly appreciate the gesture of cookies/home-baked stuff, in a way it would be a bit of a burden.

Not to mention that for one of my schools, they had to write a time-consuming separate letter the day before the deadline... obviously very poor planning on my part, but in my defense, I didn't know I was applying there until two days before the deadline. I feel that the effort they gave was beyond expectations from a recommender, and though I have thanked them sincerely and profusely, I still feel as if it is not enough.
  • AileyAiley Posts: 698Registered User Member
    try flowers, then, or a gift basket. Cash equivalents like gift cards are not appropriate,so look for something that is, that they will like.
  • muzikbox_22muzikbox_22 Posts: 18Registered User New Member
    This is what I did,

I went to blockbuster, and bought one of those popcorn buckets. Then I bought a few of the boxed candy, and a $5 gift card. That way they could have a movie night. As for gift cards being inappropriate, I'm not so sure because you should have seen the looks on their faces when they got that present. Lets just say all the other teachers were jealous.
  • tickytock14tickytock14 Posts: 617Registered User Member
    Include a thankful, sincere handwritten note!
  • mv1mv1 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    Thank you all.. I appreciate so many inputs. Here is what i am thinking

a. Definitely a nice hand written thank you card.
    b. Thinking of purchasing a nice scarf and also thinking of enclosing a gift receipt for the same as well...Alternately flowers..
    c. Definitely no gift cards!

Let the ideas leep flowing.. Also you know what - I am no more tense with what the outcome SCEA would be.. Instead I am working on this plan

I also realise that this is the last christmas i would celebrate while at my high school and I really want to do it in style..

Thanks
  • 99cents99cents Posts: 1,088Registered User Member
    I like the idea of baking cookies. Not sure about leaving receipt. I'm not sure I like that idea. Giving flowers is always a great idea.
  • hikidshikids Posts: 1,284Registered User Senior Member
    Do you think a gift card from a bookstore would be a problem? Somewhat different from a visa or master gift cards, or a Macy's gift card.
  • symphonymomsymphonymom Posts: 436Registered User Member
    I think it's a little inappropriate to "pay" recommenders for their kind words. To me, bestowing gift cards for cash amounts (while probably the best kind of gift under the circumstances) still seems to me like compensating them for a service. I would recommend thank-you notes right now and save giving gifts for the holiday. Thank-you's are always appropriate and gifts are appropriate for a gift-giving holiday. That way it does not appear that you are "paying " for a recommendation, but your recommenders will know what you meant...
  • 99cents99cents Posts: 1,088Registered User Member
    ^I agree that is the problem.
  • bp9bp9 Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    i was thinking i'd give my recommenders apparel from whatever school i end up going to. thoughts?