Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Can I call Stanford and ask why I was rejected?

therealzeta91therealzeta91 Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2009 in Stanford University
Has anyone successfully been able to get information from an admission officer as to what can be improved on the app? Or any reservations they had? Or is it just: you were qualified and we are sorry we could not take you?
Post edited by therealzeta91 on

Replies to: Can I call Stanford and ask why I was rejected?

• GimmeStanfordGimmeStanford Posts: 317- Member
    You might want to get your guidance counselor to do that, school officials can usually get through whereas students probably can't. Give it a try though, call the admissions office.
  • supereagle10supereagle10 Posts: 794Registered User Member
    I think theres like 684 reasons why you didnt get into Stanford.
  • amciwamciw Posts: 1,755Registered User Senior Member

And only one you did.

[size=-2]Just wanted to show you how insensitive that comment was, especially from someone who just got admitted.[/size]
  • fortifyfortify Posts: 1,161Registered User Senior Member
    what was the point of this comment
  • michael92michael92 Posts: 137Registered User Junior Member
    that was rude!!!
    well, call your counselor and tell him/her to call THEM.
    I think stanford lost many EXCELLENT applicants bc of its affirmative action obession
    (not that Im against that, Im latino after all)
  • eatsaloteatsalot Posts: 1,465Registered User Senior Member

what the hell kind of comment is that.
  • docketgolddocketgold Posts: 355Registered User Member
    Play nice children.
  • w0oj0ow0oj0o Posts: 272Registered User Junior Member
    684 = number of those accepted I'm guessing.

That was very clever though, you insincere pig

To the OP, I don't think it's worth the call, the most likely answer you will probably get is a regurgitation of the points on the rejection letter..........
  • CrystalProphecyCrystalProphecy Posts: 820Registered User Member
    Doesn't it say on the Stanford rejection letter NOT to call them?

Maybe not this year, but I remember reading the 2012 rejection letters and one of the FAQ questions was "Why did I get rejected?"
  • supereagle10supereagle10 Posts: 794Registered User Member
    there were actually 689. My point is that you are qualified to get in. But so were many more people and they cant take everyone.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Posts: 24,933Registered User Senior Member
    Of course you can call. Sometimes, you can get valuable information. You should also ask your GC to call. But there are times you can get someone who will spend a little time with you on your app.

Most of the times, however, you get a general remark about the competitiveness of the pool this year, and that they just could not take everyone. Sometimes that is truly the only reason. You probably did not have anything on their "wishlist" that they have this year, and did not make the grades/testscore/course load cut for those kids that they took for purely academic reasons. They will go down on any of those things for someone that has something else they are eyeing, but if your app is like too many others with nothing that catches their eye, even those great recs and essays are not going to do it.
  • YaileYaile Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
    bump i didnt aply to stanford but i wanna no too!
  • Oprah!Oprah! Posts: 647Registered User Member
    hahaha wait i think that the 684 is clever (and inevitably trrue :( )
    but i would not recommend doing this, for the simple fact that it would make moving past your rejection much more difficult
    just make a clean cut and forget about it
    plus, the admissions office is on vacation right now and i doubt they're really in the mood to tell you hahaha
  • hpa10hpa10 Posts: 1,906Registered User Senior Member
    that was rude!!!
    well, call your counselor and tell him/her to call THEM.
    I think stanford lost many EXCELLENT applicants bc of its affirmative action obession
    (not that Im against that, Im latino after all)

When you say it like that, it sounds like you think the kids who are URM's and were accepted were not excellent applicants.
  • Tyler09Tyler09 Posts: 2,768Registered User Senior Member
    yes you may call