Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What's your intended major?

Sal2Sal2 Posts: 178Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2009 in Stanford University
Hi all!
Well since it will be a while before we hear back from the colleges, I thought it might be cool if we all got to know each other a little bit better and mentioned what we hope to major in at our future school's and why that major interests you, or what caused you to want to pursue a career in that field. (If you are still undecided then mention what major you may want to look into.)

I guess I'll start, I want to major in chemical engineering because I want to work with pharmacueticals to make cheaper medicines, since personally, I know how buying medicines can become a big financial burden on low-income communities.
Sorry for the long post, but maybe this will take our minds off of the 2+ months of waiting.
Post edited by Sal2 on

Replies to: What's your intended major?

• dpattzloverdpattzlover Posts: 1,215Registered User Senior Member
    Biomechanical Engineering or some sort of engineering. I have always liked math and science, but a trip to Tanzania last year really made me think that engineering is the key to helping reduce poverty in third world countries.
  • angrygoldfishangrygoldfish Posts: 285Registered User Junior Member
    Anthropology and Pre-med. Do research to discover effective region-specific treatment methods to the big diseases (TB, AIDS) in extremely poor nations.

Such a long wait...
  • yamakirayamakira Posts: 75Registered User Junior Member
    I am still undecided. I am a math, science, and computer guy (typical geek i guess?). I REALLY want to do computer science, physics, mathematics, and engineering. ALL of it. If I had more time in life, I would do all of it. Anyways, I am leaning towards Computer/Electrical engineering with computer science/mathematics. Its a way to include as much of the things I want to study I guess.
  • CiderCider Posts: 327Registered User Member
    Math and/or Physics currently, though that's subject to change.
  • AmadeuicAmadeuic Posts: 759Registered User Member
    Classics while on the Pre-Med track.

Giggity.
  • 2legit2quit2legit2quit Posts: 309Registered User Junior Member
    Anthropology/Sociology

I want to go into education &administration to better the American education system (disparities galore!!!) or nonprofit work, both here &in other countries.
  • ruskieruskie Posts: 556Registered User Member
    I want to go into neuroscience and help stroke victims, since I have been living with my disabled stepfather my whole life and he has changed my world around.
  • miawritesmiawrites Posts: 149Registered User Junior Member
    Creative Writing. Possibly a double major in Spanish... just because it's easy for me, and then I'd actually have a degree in something that's more reliable than writing... I'm out of my mind, but I just love writing.
  • schriztoschrizto Posts: 4,099Registered User Senior Member
    Interdisciplinary Studies in Humanities! But I said I wanted to major in Human Biology on my app and later changed my mind. Should I tell them?
  • lybragal12lybragal12 Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
    Computer Science or Human biology. Both of which are excellent at Stanford. Then again, most everything is.
  • Sal2Sal2 Posts: 178Registered User Junior Member
    @ Schrizto
    U don't need to tell them because when u first go into stanford u won't have an already declared major until u, well, formally declare it to the school of which u are interested.
  • llpitchllpitch Posts: 4,318Registered User Senior Member
    I put undecided. I literally have no clue what I want to do with my life so I was just honest.
  • limetimelimetime Posts: 743Registered User Member
    History and Philosophy! possibly Political Science. :)
  • guineapigguineapig Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    Economics, but that may be subject to change.
  • redmagus25redmagus25 Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Originally English because of my love of good literature. After taking various English courses for about a year and a half, I switched to Comparative Literature although with many doubts about the future of the degree.

I'm thinking about switching to Economics. It's in comparison more marketable than either of my previous choices and I think I would enjoy it more. The debate as to what I should minor in is still an ongoing issue.