Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is Stanford gay friendly?

MrHappiSunMrHappiSun Posts: 6Registered User New Member
edited December 2009 in Stanford University
Just curious.

(thanks)
Post edited by MrHappiSun on

Replies to: Is Stanford gay friendly?

• BigMike3541BigMike3541 Posts: 319Registered User Member
    very much so (Stanford gay here :P)
  • NJDSNJDS Posts: 1,323Registered User Senior Member
    from wat ive heard, extremely
  • thecardinalthecardinal Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
    so friendly, you'll see a circle jerk every time you walk into Roble showers

i wish i were joking
  • MrHappiSunMrHappiSun Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Thanks for the responses. (I'll know where not to go)

I was thinking about writing about being gay for my roomate essay.
  • phantasmagoricphantasmagoric Posts: 2,200Registered User Senior Member
    Search the forum--there have been lots of discussions about the gay community at Stanford. (In short, if you show that you don't support gay rights, you will be judged. Not kidding.)
    lol @ the above replies for different reasons.

first of all, MrHappiSun, lots of people wirte about being gay in your roommate essay, so go for it. I did as well

I will admit roble showers are definitely a mess, but to be fair those aren't the same people that are active parts of the gay community at stanford that you see at the center or terra. rather those are people that aren't out and trying to get theirs anonymously. lol.

@phantasmagoric I don't really know what you mean by saying if you don't support gay rights you will be judged. if you are homophobic here you will be judged for sure (and I think thats reasonable), but no one expects everyone to be running around with a rainbow flag. I dont' even do that :P
  • MrHappiSunMrHappiSun Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    I hope too many people didn't write about being gay.

And if they did, I'm hoping it's different than mine.
    but no one expects everyone to be running around with a rainbow flag.

You misunderstood me. What I mean to say is, if you express that you are against gay rights, you will be judged and/or criticized. (Not that everyone goes around visibly supporting gay rights.)
  • ROCKHARDABSROCKHARDABS Posts: 273- Junior Member
    Of course everybody is gay in stanford. Even i would be if i get in....wats wrong with with....although i mean gay as in happy...lol.
  • frog139frog139 Posts: 135Registered User Junior Member
    It's definitely an extremely supportive and gay-friendly environment here. No question.
    @phantasmagoric
    I guess I'm not really sure what you mean by being against "gay rights". but ya if you go around being homophobic you'll definitely be given a hard time (rightfully so). but you dont have to support same-sex marriage or anything (but if you don't you'll probably need to have a better reason than just my religion says X).
    It's simple: gay rights, as a civil rights movement, are mostly supported at Stanford. You don't have to be "homophobic" to be given a hard time--if you say you don't think that gay rights are legitimate (e.g. gay marriage shouldn't be allowed), you will be judged. It's just part of the culture. Did you see the demonstration last year on White Plaza? A few "Yes on Prop 8" people were out, and it was essentially them vs. the entire school.
  • s1mplyr4nd0ms1mplyr4nd0m Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
    Yeah, from the preceptive of someone who lives in Palo Alto, pretty much the whole Silicon valley is Gay friendly.
  • whitecadillacwhitecadillac Posts: 836Registered User Member
    just one question: is the lgbt scene overwhelming at all? i myself am bi and would like to get involved a little bit with it, but i don't really like when the lgbt scene is crazy-overwhelming like it might be at nyu, vassar, etc.
  • JimmyEatWorld711JimmyEatWorld711 Posts: 2,399Registered User Senior Member
    just one question: is the lgbt scene overwhelming at all? i myself am bi and would like to get involved a little bit with it, but i don't really like when the lgbt scene is crazy-overwhelming like it might be at nyu, vassar, etc.
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'overwhelming', but I'm straight and I've never been overwhelmed by the LGBT scene. The only time when the LGBT community really became a focal point of campus was during the Prop 8 protests, and during that it was really most of the campus rallying around the LGBT community.