Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Questbridge Teacher Recommendations

afumagalliafumagalli Posts: 20Registered User New Member
edited August 2010 in Stanford University
Can I (or, more appropriately, should I) use the same teacher recommendations in both the Questbridge Application and the Common App?
Post edited by afumagalli on

Replies to: Questbridge Teacher Recommendations

• resilient193resilient193 Posts: 281Registered User Junior Member
    You can't submit recommendations to Common App. They must be submitted to different colleges that accept the common app.
    Long answer short, yes you can use the same teacher recommendation. Teachers generally just write one or two recommendations and use the same content for each application.
    But you can't just photocopy the QuestBridge recommendation and send it to colleges.
    As for "should you", you definitely should! As a QuestBridge applicant, you have the ability to highlight your difficult background. your teacher will be more inclined to do so on the applications as well.
    Sidenote: this is completely up to the teacher. If the teacher declines to submit QB app non-QB organization, then there's not much you can do. You can't just photocopy one and mail it to different places; that's not allowed.

Also, if you don't get match, some partner colleges will offer to consider you for Early Decision/Action. You can also submit QuestBridge application to most (if not all) partner colleges if you don't get matched. For both these cases, your QuestBridge recommendation will serve as your official recommendation.

I'm applying via QB too. GOOD LUCK!
  • maythefrobewithumaythefrobewithu Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    I would definitely use the same recommendations. I feel that teachers take more time to write QB recs; possibly because it's something different from the norm. And, as before mentioned, they will more than likely focus on your difficult background, etc.

BE CAREFUL THOUGH...

Check to see the requirements each school has for its recs. I got into a sticky situation when both of my recs were from humanities teachers (English/drama and French). MIT requires that one rec be from a math/science teacher, and I didn't find out until three days before the deadline. I owe an immense amount of gratitude to my physics teacher, who wrote a recommendation in a couple of days, AND sent it in the mail for me.

For the curious, I got into MIT RD, not for the college match. However, it was the same recommendation used. :)